Default Can't Sign Off On Dower Rights

I live in Ohio, I am 21 and in the middle of buying a home, I have been approved and ready to close. Two weekends ago, I legally married a minor of the age of 16. They say now I can't close the loan because she can't be on the loan, and she isn't old enough to sign off on her dower rights.

Default Re: Can't Sign Off On Dower Rights

"They", who?

I'm an Ohioan myself. The mortgage is entirely in my husband's name, but I am on the deed and title. I was never asked to sign away my dower rights in order for my husband to get the loan.

It's my understanding that as her husband, you may sign contracts for your wife until such time as she reaches the age of 18 or graduates from high school - whichever comes first.

What does your lawyer say about this?

Default Re: Can't Sign Off On Dower Rights

Who would be asking her to sign her dower rights? You? If I can explain dower rights in a better way....
    I'm married and my parents pass away and leave their house to me. The house is deeded to me and I decide to give the house to my cousin Joe. When I go to transfer the deed to cousin Joe, my husband would have to sign over his dower rights to the property in order for the deed to transfer to Joe because we are married. My husband never had any claim to the property as it was from an inheritance.
    Your not signing off on anything but when purchasing a property, you are signing up for something, if that can explain it better for you.

You need to get legal advise as something here sounds fishy. Your wife has rights since she is legally married to you. You are her legal guardian so to speak. She can legally drink in this wonderful state, as long as you buy her the alcohol.

1. Sponsored Links