Default Harassment Or Coaches' Discretion

My 16 year old son is a junior in high school in California. He was mvp on the Freshman basketball team, offensive player of the year sophmore year. Sophmore year he joined the football team. When the basketball coach asked him if he joined football he told him yes. The coach erased his name from the # 3 spot on the varsity depth chart and put him at the bottom of the jv depth chart. Since that time he has been picking my son apart, telling other coaches and teachers that my son is screwing up the team, and now my son has been told he will never play this year and given the choice of "accept your role (as a bench player) or quit and strengthen your knee for football." He continues to tell everyone about my son's bad attitude and disruption of the team. There is no verification of this from anyone. He has called my sons friends in to ask if my son talks about him, and uses my son's "bad attitude" as an example during class (my daughter has witnessed this)

My son has been playing sports for years and we have never had a negative report from a coach.

This isn't about playing time or even staying on the team. My son has decided to quit. Do we have recourse regarding this character assassination? Can we file a TRO to stop it?

Default Re: Harassment Or Coaches' Discretion

It's not defamation for a coach to put somebody "at the bottom of the jv depth chart". It's not defamation for a coach to be critical of players, or to share the opinion that a player has a bad attitude.

Thanks. That is of course your opinion but as a result of our complaint there are several investigations going on. One by the school and one by the diocese. We did seek counsel and they seem to think our son is being harassed. This wasn't about basketball. This is about an adult using his position as teacher/coach to force a student to do his will. Also, there isn't a coach or teacher at the school or in any other program he has ever been involved in that has accused him of a bad attitude.

We will wait and see what the investigation comes up with. Thanks again.

It's not just my opinion. It's a fact. From what you wrote, you have no defamation case.

You're having this investigated on a completely different question, whether it constitutes an abuse of the teacher's authority under school board rules? That's fine. But you asked about defamation in a forum about defamation, so you got an answer about defamation.

Contact the school, ask who the Athletic Director is (usually the Principal or Asst Principal). Explain your concern and see what help they can offer. Next step school district superintendent.

1. Sponsored Links