Default Doctor Refuses To Treat Me Since Learning I Am Uninsured

Arkansas is my state.

Hello everyone. My problem is for around four months now when I bend down or squat down my left knee pops out of place and I have to lay down and straighten my leg to get it to pop back in place. I saw an orthepitic surgeon on the advice of the local emergency room. It was a doctor I had seen before for a previous surgery several years ago. I saw him around four times over the next two months and attentended thearphy per his advice. All MRI's and x-rays he said had came back normal. The physical therapist I had gone to was his at his clinic, and the thearipist said it was jumping of track because of loose muscles and if they couldn't be strengthen through theraphy then there was a surgery that could be done. I did everytyhing the doctor asked and when I went back it still was not better so he started writting a form out for me to have outpatient surgery to clean up the inside of my knee. I am self employed and had been paying all the bills everytime I went, but after he found out I was self-pay he threw the form in the trash and said he really wasn't sure if he could help me, and just to call if I need anything. Needless to say I am still having the same problems with my knee. Any help or advice very much appreciated!

Default Re: Doctor Refuses To Treat Me Since Learning I Am Uninsured

Quote Quoting amangiv
    View Post
    Arkansas is my state.

Hello everyone. My problem is for around four months now when I bend down or squat down my left knee pops out of place and I have to lay down and straighten my leg to get it to pop back in place. I saw an orthepitic surgeon on the advice of the local emergency room. It was a doctor I had seen before for a previous surgery several years ago. I saw him around four times over the next two months and attentended thearphy per his advice. All MRI's and x-rays he said had came back normal. The physical therapist I had gone to was his at his clinic, and the thearipist said it was jumping of track because of loose muscles and if they couldn't be strengthen through theraphy then there was a surgery that could be done. I did everytyhing the doctor asked and when I went back it still was not better so he started writting a form out for me to have outpatient surgery to clean up the inside of my knee. I am self employed and had been paying all the bills everytime I went, but after he found out I was self-pay he threw the form in the trash and said he really wasn't sure if he could help me, and just to call if I need anything. Needless to say I am still having the same problems with my knee. Any help or advice very much appreciated!
    How did he learn that you were self pay while he was actually filling out the outpatient surgery form? Since he told you to call him if you needed anything, he is not, technically, refusing to treat you. I'm think you must have said something while he was filling out that form that made him think you were reluctant to have surgery.

I didn't say anything. He was filling out the forms and asked me who my insurance was through, and I told him I was self pay. He quit filling out the paper work and then told me he wasn't sure if surgery would help.

Additionally, I specifically told him that I wanted to go ahead and have the surgery so it would be done with. He told me that the surgery may or may not work so he wouldn't do surgery without insurance. He said - and I quote "come back if you get insurance and we'll try the surgery." I did not do or say anything to indicate that I didn't want it done, I did the complete opposite.

Then I would ask your PCP for the name of another orthopedic surgeon.

I know how it feels. I experienced this myself. My liver almost gave out from Hepatitis B. They doctors, ER people, refused to treat me just because I was self paid. I was told get health insurance then get treatment, I was going around seeing doctors paying cash for lab orders that I learned I needed with the help of google asking people which labs to order. It is sick I know.

If Bristol Mayers have not given the antiviral meds, I probably wouldn't be here. It is a huge problem, this pathetic health care for profit. But from a legal point they can do it, since it is a business.

I have insurance now with Kaiser, but they don't do much for me either. The scary part that they have it all legalized. This procedure not medically necessary, that test is for research only.

Hang in there friend you are not along.

I hope I can find legal advice and help on here too.

1. Sponsored Links