Default Lying To Store Security And Police After Shoplifting

Hello

I attend college have never been arrested prior to this.

I'm charged with a misdemeanor in retail theft at a clothing store (4 items totaling between $300 - $400) which is a felony in my state but the State Attorney brought it down to a misdemeanor. Whew

But, here's my other problem....

I walked out the store with 2 jackets and 2 belts, where I was immediately confronted by security outside

I was then led down to the security office where I gave back the two jackets and just one of the belt, which was strapped around my stomach.

I held back on the other belt, which was worn through the loops of my jeans, because I was so scared of going over the $150 limit that they kept warning me about. To my complete surprise, the total of the two jackets and one belt came out around $350.

I couldn't find the nerve to give back the other belt because so much time had passed since we were suppose to give back all the stolen merchandise.

It was at the police station much later that they alerted me of the second belt. I froze in shock. I didn't admit to it at first because I was so scared that they found out. After they started questioning me more about it, I finally admitted it was stolen and gave it back. I basically waived my rights...

The police thought that I knew about the belt the entire time and said they will use this against me in court. One officer proceeded to yell and curse at me.

Now, will there be jail time for lying to the LP and police in this situation? If not, then what are the fines and community service hours?

Thank you so much. I eagerly await answers for I am extremely worried

(my court date is in a month)

panther10758 Guest

Default Re: My Shoplifting Situation (lying To The Security And Police...)

Were you charged with lieing? You need to consult a criminal defense Attorney and formulate a plan for how you will deal with this. You can at that time also discuss reduction in charges to misdemeanor etc. I also fail to see where you say what state this happene din

Default Re: Lying To Store Security And Police After Shoplifting

I don't believe I was charged with lying because they found out about the second belt just a few minutes before the patrol car came (to pick me up from the police station and bring me back to my car)

But the police say they'll make a note about it to court...

panther10758 Guest

They wont add charges during court

Couldn't they have added a note on my case to court? (about me lying)

I mean, regardless, they would have to change my charge because instead of 2 items stolen, it has be changed to 3 now...so while they're editing that, they can simply make a note that I lied.

(though....everything was processed and done when they alerted me of the belt. I was waiting for a ride home at that time)

Quote Quoting panther10758
    View Post
    I also fail to see where you say what state this happene din
    I dont want to be too specific but it's a midwest state

As you were instructed when you posted, you need to identify your state because laws are different in each state. If you don't do that, this discussion has probably gone about as far as it can go, and you need to be thinking about consulting a criminal defense lawyer.

panther10758 Guest

Quote Quoting Vaneer
    View Post
    I dont want to be too specific but it's a midwest state
    Yes its important to to give too much info that can ID you but listing your state will not do that.

1. Sponsored Links