Hybrid View

Default Car Not Yet Repossessed After Bankruptcy

Hello,

I filed for chapter 7 bankruptcy in July 2007, and it was approved in October 2007. I have a car with a lien and I stated that I wish to surrender it. So far, I have not heard anything from the bank regarding
    repossession. The car's registration expires in February and I won't be able to renew it without the title since I am in a new state. I don't want to drive around in a car with no valid registration.
    What if they don't come to pick it up? Should I just let it stand in the parking lot? What if I want to move out of state? Should I just leave it behind?

Default Re: Car Not Yet Repossessed After Bankruptcy

I've seen many situations like this. For some reason some of the lienholders are in a hurry to get the vehicle and file a motion for relief before the case discharges so they can pick it up, but then some take their time. In a few of the cases the clients would send a certified letter to the leinholder advising them of the location of the vehicle and that usually got their attention and they picked the vehicle up shortly after.

Have you contacted the attorney who filed your bankruptcy? That should be your first call because they may be willing to send a letter or make a call to the lienholder on your behalf. If not they should be able to give you a recommendation as to what steps to take on your own.

Thank you for your reply. I don't have a lawyer; I did everything pro se (and had no problems whatsoever). I was thinking of the certified letter idea myself. I think I'll do that.

Make sure you not only send it certified mail, but do a return receipt requiring their signature as well.

1. Sponsored Links