Default What Can I Do About My Ex's Property, Left Behind When He Moved

I was involved in a very abusive relationship for 6 years. I FINALLY kicked him out (where he was willing to leave). He lived w/ me at my father's house for 6 years... refused to pay rent or contribute in any way. He just stayed here and moved his stuff in, no paperwork was signed or nothing... but anyways... he moved out maybe about 2 months ago or more, and he has 2 turantula's, 3 snakes, and a LOT of personal property in my home. I want to know what I can LEGALLY do with his belongings and what I should do about it. He's not taking care of the animals, and i'm doing everything I can, but it's hard, cuz i'm allergic to the spiders and i'm scared DEATHLY of snakes.... he refuses to move anything out till "he is good and ready to move things out"... but my father's home is NOT his free storage space... and I have roomates coming in soon and his stuff needs to go ASAP!!!!
    I don't know what to do... I need all the help I can get....
    and my house is in MASSACHUSETTS...
    PLEASE HELP ME!!!! I DESPERATELY NEED IT!!!!
    i wanna know:
    -what i can legally do?
    -is there any personal property abandoment laws that apply
    -or ANYTHING at all
    thankyoU!

Default Re: What Can I Do About My Ex's Property, Left Behind When He Moved

IANAL, but I think abandonment kicks in after 30 days, and you are free to do whatever you want with the stuff. Not saying you have to wait 30 days, since he had no legal grounds for being there in the first place- he was a guest. But I think after 30 days you would be safe- I think that's how it works with storage facilities too. MIght be 60 or 90 though.

Good for you for taking care of the animals- they are helpless and innoccent in all this. Try to find them good homes if and when the time comes. Best to you!

And that, folks, is why there is a big disclaimer at the bottom of each page warning you that the answer you get may not come from a lawyer, and may be incorrect. There is no such rule, anywhere.

I would suggest telling him that if he doesn't recover his animals expeditiously, you will arrange to have them picked up by animal control. I suspect he left you with the animals because he knows they make you uncomfortable.

Did you identify your state in there somewhere? As you were told when you posted, laws are different in each state.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    And that, folks, is why there is a big disclaimer at the bottom of each page warning you that the answer you get may not come from a lawyer, and may be incorrect. There is no such rule, anywhere.

I would suggest telling him that if he doesn't recover his animals expeditiously, you will arrange to have them picked up by animal control. I suspect he left you with the animals because he knows they make you uncomfortable.

Did you identify your state in there somewhere? As you were told when you posted, laws are different in each state.
    She's in Mass.
    I need all the help I can get....
    and my house is in MASSACHUSETTS...

And of course you are correct in your response to the OP.

Wow... There it is in all-caps and everything. (This highlights, perhaps, how all-caps can be harder to read than any other form of presentation. And that I'm a bit impatient. )

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    And that, folks, is why there is a big disclaimer at the bottom of each page warning you that the answer you get may not come from a lawyer, and may be incorrect. There is no such rule, anywhere..

There is no need to be sarcastic. I intentionally identified that I am not, in fact, a lawyer. And I do remember learning that storage facilities are allowed to auction off contents after a certain amount of time. I'm pretty sure I've heard of this in other circumstances as well. If non-lawyers are allowed to reply on this site, then it stands to reason that some information will be wrong from time to time. Some of us are only offering what we think may help.

Regardless, there was no need to be sarcastic.

It wasn't sarcasm. It was a statement of fact.

between here and there, but you can't here from there

I am no attorney, but I can say that if she needs to get the animals gone, post them for free plus shipping at sites like kingsnake.com, faunaclassifieds.com, or venomousreptiles.org. These site are run, and visited by, people that are in the know of these specific critters.

Just popped in to point this out as I would hate seeing these innocent animals sent out to people who just want to be "cool".

The animals aren't hers to sell; hence the animal control suggestion.

1. Sponsored Links