Default Can You Modify Joint Custody to Sole Physical and Legal Custody

In what circumstances would a court review an existing court order awarding both parents joint legal and physical custody and look at awarding one parent sole legal and physical custody?
    My circumstances: I have joint legal and physical custody with my ex-husband. He has moved (literally) out of the picture, to the other side of the continent (he did not notify me of new address), has not seen child in over a year (child is 4) does not pay support (currently being found in contempt for this), does not phone, is not involved in any of the decision making process. I have resided in the same location, same house since the split and divorce and provide solely for the child.

Default Obtaining Sole Custody

It sounds like it isn't necessary to go to court, given that your ex- isn't exercising parenting time. In Michigan, some counties restrict how often you revisit custody issues; but under statute you can revisit custody if there is a change in circumstances sufficient to justify the court's revisiting the issue. Total abandonment by a parent would probably meet that threshold.

It's my understanding that because it's joint legal and physical in Michigan if I move more than 100 miles I need to receive the courts permission, Correct? And that would entail lawyer fees and going to court. . If I have to go to court anyways (because it looks like a job over 100 miles away) I might as well go for sole so I don't have to go if I ever need to move. My biggest concern is if something happened to me what would happen to my child, and I have a will drawn up and signed specifying my wishes but I worry it's not enough. Wouldn't there be more benefits, in terms of less time in court in the future, if I request sole legal and physical? My ex is "spontaneous" especially when he has a girlfriend he wants to impress, I am concerned he would show up out of the blue and begin demanding his rights.
    Rereading this it seems disjointed, sorry. But there are many angles I am considering.

Default Petitioning to Move

Try contacting your Friend of the Court office and see if they can handle a petition to relocate through a FOC proceeding. If they can handle it, given that your ex- probably won't appear, you can do that yourself and it will be a lot easier than bringing a motion. You can of course handle a matter before the judge on your own, as well, but it can be a bit tricky to get the right paperwork filed.

1. Sponsored Links