Unhappy Leased Vehicle In My Name Only

I am sure my husband is leaving.

Can my husband take my car? It is a lease which he is not on. No way, shape of form.
    There is also another car which is titled in my name which was given to my son for his birthday. My son does not have his license as yet. So, I have not transferred the title as of yet to his name. It too is in my name.
    He has a truck which was bought and titled soley in his name..
    Stressed in Ohio:

Default Re: Leased Vehicle In My Name Only

I'm not a lawyer or an expert on anything, but my boyfriend just got divorced, we are in pa, and he had a truck titled in his name only and he paid for it with his money and his ex-wife got it in the divorce. Anything acquired during the marriage is a marital assest regardless of whose name it is in. So, depending on how the assests will be split if you divorce, you could very well lose it.

I agree with that. The division of assets will be decided by agreement, or by the divorce court, and that can include the conveyance of property from one (ex-)spouse to the other. However a vehicle is titled, couples typically have some sense of "my car" and "his car" which can govern who possesses and uses the car during separation. And where a family has two cars, even if both are in one spouse's name, the other can reasonably be expected to take (and to be allowed to take) one of the vehicles during the separation and divorce process.

The leased car is not owned by her, The lease company owns it. One divorce I'm aware of - the couple owned two cars, both in the husbands name. The wife had never made an attempt to get a drivers license and petitioned the court for one of the cars. The judge ruled that since she had never obtained a license she was not entitled to one of the cars.

1. Sponsored Links