Default Health Insurance Only Valid In One State

What is the name of your state? MO

I live in Missouri, and my ex husband lives in Arkansas. Our custody agreement includes that he will provide health insurance for our daughter. He is trying to enroll her in ARkids, which is a program for Arkansas residents. We have joint custody, our daughter lives with me and visits him on the weekends. According to him, the Arkids program would only allow HIM to take her for medical care in Arkansas. Which means that should she need any type of care, I would have to take her to him during the week. I contacted the ARkids office to see if her coverage would include anything in Missouri. They said no, this is only valid with Arkansas providers. Should she have an emergency in Missouri, she would not be covered. He says that technically he IS providing health insurance for her and following the custody order. Has anyone had any experience with this type of situation? Does this seem correct that she actually only has coverage when in his care?

Default Re: Health Insurance Only Valid In One State

Where does the child live?

I would also give your lawyer a call about the insurance clause.

Your ex sounds like he is trying to wiggle around the clause...

I agree with that. But I would like to know where the child is domiciled under the existing custody order. I suspect that the court would be much more likely to view it as a violation if the child is domiciled in Missouri.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    I agree with that. But I would like to know where the child is domiciled under the existing custody order. I suspect that the court would be much more likely to view it as a violation if the child is domiciled in Missouri.
    The way I read the OP's post, the child stays with Mom in MO during the week and with Dad in AK on the weekends.

Very few custody agreements have insurance clauses limited by geography... but there is nothing new under the sun. If Dad is supposed to provide insurance, it must, typically, be insurance where the daughter will spend the majority of the time.

It's possible that the custody order regards the child as domiciled in both households, despite the parents' being in different states, but I am skeptical that a custody court would want to do that.

1. Sponsored Links