Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Can't Get Plates After Uninsured Car Was Towed

OK, it was a week before Christmas and the New York City Marshal towed my car. I went to go get it back but had nothing but the run around from the city. I was sent from office to office; from Queens to Manhattan. I started at 8:00 a.m., and did not get home until 8:00 p.m. that night. I was told “Bring us this paper and that paper and we will let you get your car”. So, I jump back on the bus for an hour’s trip to go home and get what was needed. I bused it back, another hour, to be told "Oh, this can’t be done in this office; you have to go into the city for this".

So, off I go into the city, a 75 minute trip. When I get there, I am sent from window to window. Finally, I get told “You can have the car back for $1,400, but we are taking the plates off the car”. I work on this for about hour there, hoping to have it reduced since it’s the Christmas season, and that would be my entire Christmas budget and then some! However, I have no luck. I get more of “go to this window”.

I leave there, to go to the marshal office to have my car released. With no plates, I have to get the car towed. AAA won’t pick it up without plates, so I had to pay another $150 for a tow.

The next day, I start calling the D.M.V. I explain to them that I have a child with a learning disability and I need the car not only for work, but to get him to doctors and specialized after-school programs. I get nowhere. I am told I will not be able to register the car until the year 2009. Well, it’s now 2007! There was a time where I was the only one in my house that was working; we fell on hard times. And this went on for over a year. And even then, the city would not offer us assistance. And because of this, there was a lapse in my insurance.

Now, over the last 8 months we are both working and starting to pay off a lot of bills. This was going to be the first Christmas we would be able to exchange gifts in the last 2 years. IT took us a long time to save up for this Christmas. And then, they took the car. And now, all of the money we put aside for Christmas was taken.

Today, even the Commissioner himself knows all about this, and refuses to help in anyway. Now I am stuck with a car I have to pay off that I can’t drive, and have to pay a monthly fee to garage it because it can not stay on the street. Plus, I have to take cabs and buses and trains to work and for my son. So I am now back to where I started from. I have to put money on the side for buses trains and cabs.

The NY D.M.V. has no heart at all. I wanted to get restricted plates for the time being, just for to use for my son and work. But they will not even talk to me. They continue to hang up the phone on me. The Commissioner knows about this, and will not step up to help. I have talk with someone at Governor Spitzer’s office, and they even placed a call to the D.M.V. and got nowhere. So, I and turning to you. I am going to list the Commissioner’s fax and phone numbers at the bottom of this. What I am hoping for is for people to fax, email, or call the Commissioner and let him know he needs a heart. I al also hope that the local news picks up on this story, hopefully before Christmas.

How the N.Y. D.M.V Grinch Stole Christmas. The D.M.V. will not help someone that lives in N.Y.C but they want to give drivers licenses to illegal immigrants. What a great city we have!

i made a site to try and fight them and get more people to call them. on my site i list emails for higher members at the dmv.

http://www.fightingthedmv.com/

Default Re: Can't Get Plates After Uninsured Car Was Towed

I don't have any easy answers, and I haven't tried to wade through New York law on this subject, but would something stop you from selling the car? That would at least stop the continuing financial losses.

the problem is i need the car to go to work and to drive my son to doctors and school.

So sell this one and buy another?

NYS is telling me they will not let me own a car until 2009. any car. i need to get this changed. if it was just the car i would have done something with it. and i am being told i can not give the car to someone to register for me. the city does not have the right to tell me i can not give the car to someone. i have to sell it to them. i wanted to give the car to a familiy member to register. and they will not let me.

Your post was long, but I'm sure there is a lot more to the story.

You don't mention why it was towed.

You also don't mention why you are not able to own a car until 2009.

The fact that you are not being allowed to "give" the car to someone to register it for you - sounds as though you are trying to find a way that you will still be able to use it.

Does your spouse drive?

in my first post i did say that there was a lapse in my insurance. that is why they are telling me i can not own a car until 2009.

Quote Quoting fightthedmv
    View Post
    in my first post i did say that there was a lapse in my insurance. that is why they are telling me i can not own a car until 2009.
    Yes, I seen that, but didn't know if that was the reason the car was towed.

I'm sorry though, I am having a hard time believing that there isn't more to the story.

I went to your blog and it doesn't add anymore information.

So, what is the reason you can not provide proof of insurance, pay the fees, and get your car back to use?

Why do you have to wait a year?

New York will suspend a vehicle's registration if the owner does not obtain insurance as required by law. A summary of New York's policies for uninsured vehicles can be read here.

it's all there. there was a lapse in my insurance. i did not have the money to keep it up. i am not looking to lie to you. my car got towed for a parking ticket. it was hard for me to pay the insurance after my wife lose her job.i was the only one working to pay the rent food and bills. things got hard.i did not have the money to pay to out that car somewere. nothing to it. now i am being told i will be able to drive as of next month. but i am being told i can not register a car until 2009. and i can not even give the car to my wife to register. they are stopping me from doing that. what more info can i give to you. ask i will tell you. i am not looking to hide anything here.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast