Default Estate Disposition

My father passed away leaving me as executor and sole beneficiary. I recently sold his mobile home for less than $30,000 and received a cashier's check made out to his estate. I live in Washington state and my father's mobile home was located in Oregon, where he passed away. I have an original death certificate and Will. What do I need to do to cash/deposit this check? I do not have an estate account, only my personal account.

Default Re: Estate Disposition

You need to set up an estate account and deposit the check. After all the bills are paid you can take the money back out.

How do I set up an estate account? Can you point me to a previous post (I imagine one is already posted) that explains it?

The estate is in what state? (Although odds are, if you've already been appointed administrator of the estate, your bank of choice can guide you through the process.)

The "estate" is in Oregon. Actually, my father passed about two years ago. His accounts are all closed, bills all paid, home sold and belongings divided. All that's left is a piece of land in So. California, which I pay taxes on, and the cashier's check for the home sale, as mentioned in my first posting. It seems there should be a simple way do do this without involving a lawyer but I can't seem to find that way.

1. Sponsored Links