Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Name Change and Birth Certificate Change

    I have two questions really. First, I live in New York state. My son's bio father lives in Kentucky, I think. When I had my son, the bio father and I had broken up (never married) but I put his name on the birth certificate. I gave my son my last name. I was on medicade at the time so the state went after the father for support, etc. I honestly dont remember if anything was done about paternity, but there was no doubt that he was the bio father. The bio father has been paying child support (garnished) all this time. But when the state first went after him, he moved around alot to avoid them finding him. It took a few years and now I get support every week. I do know that custody was never actually established through the courts. Well, I have since gotten married. And I want to change my son's last name - preferrably without getting the bio father involved. I would also like to get the bio father's name removed from the birth certificate, but I believe I would have to go through a legal adoption in order to do that. I'm just worried that after all these years, if I go back to the bio father, he may ask for visitation, etc and it would be granted because he's been paying support. He's had absolutely nothing to do with us since the birth!! The court ordered him to pay support (I never asked for it) and to carry medical insurance (I always carried our own though). What do you suggest for the name change? Is there any way to change my son's last name without getting the bio father involved? And what do you suggest about the birth certificate/adoption issue? How long would I have to wait if I didnt want to get the bio father involved? At what age would my son have a say in the decision for visitation/name change? I would appreciate any advice you can give me. I know it's a complicated situation!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Behind a Desk

    Default Re: Name Change and Birth Certificate Change

    The father is entitled to notice of any name change proceedings, and has the right to oppose your petition.

    1. Sponsored Links

Similar Threads

  1. Changing an Adult's Name: How to Change Name on NYC Birth Certificate
    By myjo24de in forum Name Change
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-14-2011, 03:34 PM
  2. Name Change on Birth Certificate
    By Forever21 in forum Name Change
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-21-2010, 12:12 AM
  3. Change of Birth Certificate
    By dport in forum Paternity Law
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-03-2009, 05:23 AM
  4. I Want To Change The Last Name On Birth Certificate
    By tiffanyholley in forum Name Change
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-12-2008, 08:53 PM
  5. Last Name Change On Birth Certificate
    By Jazzy22408 in forum Name Change
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-29-2008, 05:09 PM
Sponsored Links

Legal Help, Information and Resources