Question What Is A VOP Bond Hearing

My boyfriend was arrested on 12/22 for VOP (Felony Grand Theft - $300)that is 18 years old. He was arrested in one county and had to be transferred to another and waited 6 days to be transferred. Once he arrive in the new county he attended his first appearance and was told he would have to wait for an additional 5 days for a Bond Hearing with the SAME judge. I am out of state and as you can imagine this is driving me crazy! He has not been in any trouble since 1990 which was actually considered petty theft (a bad check). The problem is this is in a different state (he was in Florida visiting family and was suppose to be home before the holidays).

What exactly happens at a bond hearing? Can the judge dismiss the case or make other decisions at a bond hearing? If the judge decides on a bond amount what are the rules regarding him leaving the state? Can he come home and go back for the court date? Is there anyway that the judge will use time served so far and just end it at the bond hearing?

ANY information you can provide would be greatly appreciated, I have my hopes that he will be able to come home after the hearing on Thursday but I seem to get my hopes up and they are shot down.

PLEASE HELP!

Default Re: What Is A VOP Bond Hearing

A bond hearing is a hearing where bond is set or adjusted.

Currently there is no bond. Can they do anything else at a bond hearing?

Please help me understand what a bond is.....this is all I know:

If a bond is set at $5,000. you would have to have $500. cash and then put up property backing the rest of the money correct? Then the person is released until the court date right? Upon going to court the bond is released? While awaiting court are there restrictions on how far someone can travel within the US?

Sorry this is all new to me!

Other things can happen at the same time as a bond hearing. But all you have told us is that a bond hearing has been scheduled - we don't know if anything else is scheduled. Your boyfriend can discuss what may happen with his lawyer.

1. Sponsored Links