Default Public Housing Failed To File Satisfaction Of Judgment

Hello,

I am a resident of the city and county of San Francisco in California.

In September 2005 I was evicted from public housing for non payment of rent. ( I withheld rent when I was not supposed to, waiting for my broken window to be fixed).
    The day the eviction happened people broke in to the apt (through the broken window) and stole most all of my belongings. (I had asked staff to let me into the unit to get things but they declined me entry). Around March 06 after fighting for a bit I paid the $500 that I owed them. A satisfaction of judgment was never entered. I called the housing office and asked them to please file this. By September 06 still no satisfaction of judgment. This is not reflected on my credit but when you run a public records search I have an outstanding judgment. Today I can go into the court house and in the case file there is a document that shows money paid but I am unsure if it is the official Satisfaction of judgment, and I know it has not been recorded because the public records still says outstanding. I have been declined for housing twice since then because of owing a previous landlord. My question is A)how do I get them (housing/court clerk ) to file the correct forms, and B)do I have any recourse for the damage caused by failure to file the satisfaction or the loss of property that they were supposed to secure for me? It seems unfair that I lost a lot more than $500 in property due to negligence than what they lost for me withholding rent. In a perfect world this judgment would be removed from public records. Is their any chance of that? What’s the next best thing I can hope for?

Default Re: Public Housing Failed To File Satisfaction Of Judgment

Although I obviously haven't seen the document in your case file, if there's a document in there reflecting that the judgment has been paid in full, that sounds to me like a satisfaction of judgment.

It sounds like the problem is that whatever "public records" search service you use hasn't updated the record for your file. Contact them, and suggest that they do so.

Thank you for your reply.

I didn’t use a search online I went directly to court house. There is a payment "receipt” hard copy in the file sent by the tax collectors office (to whom I paid the money), but no satisfaction of judgment filed by the Housing authority (the plaintiff) themselves. So when you search the data base of county records (on the courts own website or even inside the court house) and look at the progression of the case no payment has actually been filed with the court.

I am confused as to whether the court clerk has failed to update like you said (for almost 2 years) or if I need to pursue Housing for not filing at all. If the latter is true isn’t there some "rule" that says if the satisfaction of judgment is not filed in "x" amount of time then "this or that" may happen?

The document in the file reflects that the judgment is paid in full?

It does not state "judgment paid in full" It's just aregister receipt from the cashier that I paid the tax collector $500 on a tax collector account #. It mentions nothing of a judgment, The San Francisco Housing Authority, the address where I lived, a case # , Nothing. It does say “balance zero” but no indication as to what the money was for, or who it went to.

any advice as to what i should do to/with whom??

Try talking to the Court Clerk.

UPDATED- 1/09/2008
    So I did just that... I went to the court house, to the public records room
    I spoke with the clerk and we looked at the database of case information and the case file. There is no satisfaction of judgment. (The clerk was reluctant to believe that I paid it at all) The judgment happened in Aug 2005. I surrendered possession in Sept 2005. I got a letter from the tax collector in Jan 2006. I paid the balance in full by March 2006.
    June 2006 was when I first found that the satisfaction had not been filed. and I contacted both the Housing Authority and the San Francisco Tax Collectors office asking that they update the information.
    January 2008; still no satisfaction of judgment filed. The clerk was not much help when I asked. What should I do next? What are my rights?
    Shouldn’t the Satisfaction of judgment be filed in a reasonable amount of time?? Obviously I want the info updated but, is there any legal action I might take against the plaintiff??

1. Sponsored Links