Default Natural Mother Wants Custody Again

I live in florida. My husband and I adopted his grandaughter when she was 2 1/2 years old. She is now 12 years old and giving us many problems. Her mother has told her she wants to 're-adopt' her. However she is out of state and not anxious enough to come down to do all the paper work. Would it be easier to have her take legal guardianship instead of 're-adopting' her? Maybe even temporary guardianship? We do not want to take responsibility once the child gets into trouble. We want her to be in her mother' hands as soon as possible. She is young and strong, we're not. Please help!

Default Re: Natural Mother Wants Custody Again.

Quote Quoting tessybravo
    View Post
    I live in florida. My husband and I adopted his grandaughter when she was 2 1/2 years old. She is now 12 years old and giving us many problems. Her mother has told her she wants to 're-adopt' her. However she is out of state and not anxious enough to come down to do all the paper work. Would it be easier to have her take legal guardianship instead of 're-adopting' her? Maybe even temporary guardianship? We do not want to take responsibility once the child gets into trouble. We want her to be in her mother' hands as soon as possible. She is young and strong, we're not. Please help!
    Has this child been evaluated to see why she is acting out?

You are responsible for YOUR child....That is the commitment YOU made when you adopted her. To toss her away like yesterdays bath water is deplorable. If you weren't committed to raising her you should not have adopted.

WOW! Just WOW! I hope that you don't need help when you're old senior citizens, and that you family doesn't just get rid of you, like you're trying to get rid of your daughter. She's your DAUGHTER, not your granddaughter.

I must concur with baysategirl on this one.

Why did you ever adopt this child if you were not prepared to be her parents.

How did you adopt the child or in other words, why did the mother lose custody of the child and is it any different now than then?

Officially across the country from where I've been all my life

My question is is your husband the same parent that raised the daughter that gave birth to this child? He screwed up once, then decided it was a good idea to adopt another child. You want to throw this child away and return her like she was an ugly sweater from WalMart. Nice.

You've now raised I guess 2 troubled individuals... you're not good at this child rearing thing.

Parenting isn't accomplished by magic and miracles. Sometimes it doesn't turn out quite the way you expect.

Quote Quoting aaron
    View Post
    Parenting isn't accomplished by magic and miracles. Sometimes it doesn't turn out quite the way you expect.
    Very true...The children shouldn't be tossed out because they do not live up to our expectations..Especially when we are the ones that directed them in life.

Default Re: Natural Mother Wants Custody Again

Quote Quoting tessybravo
    View Post
    We do not want to take responsibility once the child gets into trouble. We want her to be in her mother' hands as soon as possible. She is young and strong, we're not. Please help!
    You legally adopted the child, that makes you responsible for her actions while she's a minor- no matter who she lives with. That was the responsibilty you chose to take on when you adopted, and that cannot be changed now.

You want her "in her MOTHER's hands", what you fail to understand is that she already is in her mother's hands- YOU are her legal, and moral mother.

Default Re: Natural Mother Wants Custody Again

I'm not aware of any state which imposes blanket, "You're responsible for everything your child does" liability, 24-7, from birth through age 18.

1. Sponsored Links