Default Getting a Public Defender After Bonding Out

Oklahoma

Is it true that a person cannot be assigned a public defender if he has been bonded out?

Is a public defender assigned only after arrest or can their office be contacted prior to surrender on a misdemeanor warrant?

What is required for an person who has been arrested to receive ongoing medical care and the use of medical equipment - lab tests, treatment and breathing equipment? Will the jail operator be responsible for providing the required equipment?

Is it possible/likely that bond will be reduced because of medical issues and little risk of non-appearance because of these health issues?

Default Re: Getting a Public Defender After Bonding Out

As an absolute rule, there is no prohibition on getting a court-appointed lawyer after you bond out. If the posting of the bond is taken by the court as evidence that you can afford your own lawyer, though, you can be denied a court-appointed lawyer due to your ability to pay for a lawyer.

You may be able to talk to a public defender's office before you are arrested, but they will not represent you unless and until they are appointed to do so by a court.

You will have to address your medical needs with the jail, which should be able to accommodate your bona fide medical needs. You should expect to provide your own equipment.

You can address your health issues with the court when bond is set.

What if bond is posted by a relative? Will the person providing the bond be expected/required to pay for a defense lawyer?

The person with the warrant is without property except for a 12 year old car. His assets cannot even pay the bondsman's fee much less a retainer for an independent attorney.

The medical equipment cannot be used in an insecure area as it is rented by the insurance company and extremely expensive to replace.

What type of documentation is required for these services? Is a "to whom it may concern" letter from a doctor sufficient? What about prescription drugs? If they are in a pharmacy bottle, will they be administered?

Bond apparently has already been set. How long should it take for a bond reduction hearing?

Obviously I can't speak for the policies of the court where you are charged. Ask the court.

If you want a bond reduction hearing, you have to ask for one. It's not going to happen on its own.

Who at the court? The court clerk, the jail operator, the PD's office or the DA's office?

You petition for a bond reduction with the court which set bond or, if the case has been transferred to a different judge, the judge who is currently presiding over the case.

You need to consult a criminal defense lawyer.

The judge is a whole other problem. The person making the original complaint comes from a "well connected" family who makes contributions to the election campaigns of some of the local judges. Yes, I have verified this as far as I can with the online data from the state ethics commission. Unfortunately the data is incomplete, and I need to do more research.

They have bragged that they have "friends" in the DA's office. I am still searching to see if they have made political contributions for those elections too. I suspect that this is the case because another family member of the complaintant received a "stand in the timeout corner" (less than a slap on the wrist!) penalty for drug distribution and assault with a deady weapon charges.

What should happen if the judge and DA have received campaign funds from the family of the person making the complaint?

1. Sponsored Links