Question Supposedly Overpaid And Now Not Getting Checks Until Amount Paid Back

Hi. I'm on worker's comp from Maryland. (living in DE now). I was wondering what happens if the worker's comp company says that they overpaid you. I received 2 checks (which i questioned the amount of and was told that was what they figured my wages to be). Then, I got a call from my worker that I was actually overpaid by a substantial amount. Apparently, they are going to keep my checks until the amount has been paid in full back to them. My question: Can they legally make me pay that back since it was their mistake and not mine? Can they keep my complete checks? Like I said, I questioned her about the amount when I received the first one and was told that it was accurate. If they can't do that, what are my options?

Default Re: Supposedly Overpaid And Now Not Getting Checks Until Amount Paid Back

This overpayment must have been pretty dramatic.

This is a pretty typical insurance company response to an overpayment. You can try talking to them, to see if they will take out the overpayment in smaller installments, but I don't promise results.

Default Re: Supposedly Overpaid And Now Not Getting Checks Until Amount Paid Back

I tried talking to them. Since my dr has given me a note until the middle of January (when I go back to see him again), they want the money paid back before I go back to work. I've tried to tell them that I don't see myself going back at that time since my injury is getting no better, even with therapy. In the meantime, I am screwed out of paying bills. What ticks me off with this insurance company is that I questioned them about the money when they first sent it to me. I thought it was too high. They told me that it wasn't. That it is the amount they figured my pay to be. The overpayment is this: I received $426 every 2 weeks for 2 pays. Found out the Friday before Christmas that is was only supposed to be $236 every 2 weeks. I don't think it's my fault since I did question the amount. And now my worker won't return my calls. I have even asked her to send me a letter about how much has been paid and that i wont get anymore because of this so that i can go get state help for bills and things but she's like "when i get a chance in the next week".

1. Sponsored Links