Default Personal Property Damage Accident - Settling Directly or Making an Insurance Claim

Evening folks,

My girlfriend's car was parked on a city street. When we returned to the car we saw a note from a police officer saying contact me - your car was struck.

She called the cop and the cop passed her information on to the party who hit her. The cop said that they'd wish to settle things out of insurance but if we had any problems - contact him and he'll supply us with a police report.

The damage done to her car is minor. A new bumper cover and paint would return it to 100%. But her car has some damage to the front quarter panel and door so we were just going to tell this person $200 and we can forget about it.

A woman called my girlfriend, the story was her son was making a left hand turn, was not paying attention to the right side of his car and hit her car. She claims excessive damage to her car (front bumper, hood, light). She asked my girlfriend what was damaged on her car and my girlfriend not being car savy said he cracked the rear fender thing and took a bunch of paint off. She went looney accusing her of making stuff up, saying it was just the bumper and there was nothing wrong with the fender. Now she is saying because we're making stuff up - she's not liable for anything past the bumper and she wants her to get an estimate for her own trusted body shop out of my girlfriends way and two other estimates within 2 days. This woman was non-understanding and thinking my girlfriend is trying to take advantage of her.

I estimated the damage a few bucks shy of $500 for a new bumper skirt and paint/labor. We never got to tell the woman "$200 and your inexperienced son can get away with a cheap lesson on learning how to drive".

I told my girlfriend to call the officer back, get a police report, and let this womans insurance deal with it. Ignore all her phone calls and do not discuss this with her anymore. Take her for the full amount of the repair of the damage.

This the wrong thing to do to someone who wants to "handle it out of insurance"? This woman has a very bad attitude and thinks we're out to get rich off her sons mistake.

My opinion on the situation is - screw her and her attitude, deal with it the way the law tells us too.

Default Re: Personal Property Damage Accident - Settling Directly or Making an Insurance Clai

I am not inclined to put up with stuff like that from somebody who is, in essence, asking for a favor to protect their insurance rates. So I would make a formal claim.

Default Re: Personal Property Damage Accident - Settling Directly or Making an Insurance Clai

QUOTE:

"I told my girlfriend to call the officer back, get a police report, and let this womans insurance deal with it. Ignore all her phone calls and do not discuss this with her anymore. Take her for the full amount of the repair of the damage."

I think you gave her excellent advice.

1. Sponsored Links