Default Shoplifting at Macy's

Over the weekend I was at a macy's store in calif,. I was shopping..and had no intentions to do what actually happened. I had lots of bags, MY purse and was trying on some items... I grabbed a couple of shirts off a table to try on..when I came out the dressing room I didn't know I still had one of the shirts over my arm..it was the same color of my shirt... That shirt I know i didn't want because it didn't have a tag so i didn't even know how much it cost. So, I was on the cell phone while at the counter paying for my items.. then left the store while still on the phone when I went outside 2 LP's stopped me and told me about the top I was carrying... I didn't even know..but, I had it with me..so there was no denying.. I didn't have it.. I was looking down right at it.

They told me everything would be o.k. as long as I was cooperative, and I was.... they took my name, address, and phone number, took my picture and made me sign some doc. I was so nervous I couldn't believe this was happening..it felt like a nightmare totally unreal. So, asked what was going to happen..the LP both said I would have to pay a fine to the loss prevention recovery unit. There was no police involved the item was probably 59.00 dollars and the only other question I remember asking is "how will this affect my record" they said it would remain under the stores information and it would affect me or come up in other words if I would apply for employment at any federated store.

.. I spoke to an attorney and he told me that more than likely I'd be o.k. he said to just go ahead and be sure to pay the fine otherwise it would remain as a judgement. This has never happened to me before EVER.. it feels so ridiculous.. I'm 3 months pregnant cant' share this with anyone.. but, I surely can't eat or sleep.. I'm just so worried, this will affect my record.. . the LP officers told me it wouldn't affect me but, then again I feel why would they be honest. The attorney I spoke to said that sometimes they prosecute even though they say they wouldn't. When I left the LP officer's both said to be sure to pay the fine otherwise it will turn in to a warrant.. how would that happen..?

I've been so nervous and so humiliated..that I cant help but be sick. Now I worry that I may cause myself so much stress that I will cause my pregnacy to fail. I need some advice..please advice.

There was NO police involved, I was only detained for 15 - 20 minutes, and they didn't tell me I was banned, but of course I will never go back just because of the awful reminder.

I'm just wondering if this seems as if charges will be made against me.. I'd like to be able to prepare and retain an attorney immediately.... Please advice Mr. Knowitall and Aaron. Your knowledge and experience is "greatly" appreciated.

Default Shoplifting by mistake, no police involvement

I doubt, if the police have not been involved yet, that any criminal charges will result. Conventional wisdom is to pay the fine, which will probably close the books on the matter.

Aaron,
    You doubt, anything will come of this...? Would they contact the police after I left..? I'm really nervous... based on your knowledge do you believe this will remain with the store. I am a teacher and will be moving to Sacramento within a few months, I will be employed by the state. However, I know they will run a background check. Do you think I may have anything to worry about.... thank you for your response my little one and I appreciate your help.

Default What could happen

Unfortunately, the only people who can give you a definitive statement as to whether the police were called are representatives of Macy's. All we can do here is speak to the odds.

If they do not prosecute, there would be no public record of the incident, and it would not show up in a standard background check.

Default same situation

hey there -

i am currently in the same situation .... how did it all work out in the end for you?

1. Sponsored Links