Default Quit Claim Deeds And Property Taxes

I quitclaimed my rental property to my contract holder due to financial hardship in July 2007. The contract holder agreed not to report this "foreclosure" to a credit bureau if I paid the Fall 2006 property taxes in Fall 2007. This was our verbal agreement. On the day I mailed the check for the property taxes she sent me a letter saying that she expected me to also pay the Spring 2007 property taxes in Spring 2008. I've been told by a mutual acquaintance that if I just do what she asks she will not ruin my credit.

I know in a sale I would be responsible for the taxes, but I had heard that if you obtain the title of a property through a quitclaim deed you also take all financial responsibility for that property, including taxes. Is this true? Can she make me pay the Spring taxes also?

Default Re: Quit Claim Deeds And Property Taxes

You say you had an agreement whereby you were to pay taxes. If you breach a legally enforceable contract, she can sue you for the money you owe and you can expect the debt to end up on your credit report.

She agreed (verbally) to let me out of the contract if I signed the quit claim deed which I did in July. Since then she keeps coming up with more things for me to sign and more things for me to pay in order for her not to report this. This sounds like blackmail to me. A contract just like mine that she had with someone else failed in court once before.

The reason I got behind in the first place is due to medical bills. My husband has terminal cancer. We are doing what we can to prolong his like because we have a one year old child. I really can't afford to be blackmailed by my grandmother into paying for anything else. If I had the money I would have been paying her all along. I know understand legally that means nothing. I guess I really just want to know what's the worst she can do to me? Can she take my current home if I refuse to pay these taxes?

If you wish, you can consult a local lawyer about the validity of your contract. Take the contract with you to your consultation.

1. Sponsored Links