Default Workmans Comp Settlement And Child Support In Tennessee

could someone tell me the percentage a person would or could recieve for child support arrearages in the state of tn. from workmans comp settlement. and does my present wife and child with her have any rights to a percentage of it as well just in case child support takes 100 percent.

Default Re: Workmans Comp Settlement And Child Support In Tennessee

Quote Quoting cableman0305
    View Post
    could someone tell me the percentage a person would or could recieve for child support arrearages in the state of tn. from workmans comp settlement. and does my present wife and child with her have any rights to a percentage of it as well just in case child support takes 100 percent.
    The best person to answer that for you is your WC attorney. I know that in FL up to 50% of a WC settlement can be offset, but I don't know what TN's laws are and I really don't know how to find out.

thanks for your input unfortunately my attorney is out till monday and i was just trying to see if i need to plan differently for my christmas thanks

As described here (PDF), Tennessee can pursue lump sum worker's compensation settlements for child support arrearages.
    Federal law at 42 USC 666 (c)(1)(G) requires that where there is a support arrearage, the states have in effect provisions to satisfy both current support obligations and arrearages by allowing the State to intercept or seize from State or local agencies or any other person or entity holding any assets of an obligor including periodic or lump-sum payments such as, but not limited to, unemployment compensation, workers’ compensation, and other benefits, and judgments, settlements and lottery winnings, by attaching and seizing assets of the obligor held in financial institutions, by attaching public and private retirement funds, by imposing liens on the property of an obligor by operation of law and by enforcing the liens against child support obligors by the sale of property and distribution of the proceeds.
    Unfortunately, I don't see a limit described.

1. Sponsored Links