Default Guardianship Of an Elderly Parent in Nevada

We co-own and have shared a residence with my mother in law for several years. She is 72 years old and up to now has been very independent in her finances and medical decisions. She does not drive, but has taken public transporation for many years.

She was recently diagnosed with Colon Cancer and has not decided to do any treatment, although survival is very high with treatment.

In addition, she recently met a 60 year old homeless man at the senior center and has been using her credit cards to buy him a car and has using her credit cards to buy him a place to stay at motels almost every night. In addition, she pays for his groceries, gas, clothes, cigarettes, etc.

We are convinced she is making unhealthy medical decisions and now extremely devistating financial decisions that will bankrupt her.

I do not know who her doctor is, although I do know that she has to sign documents that she was refusing medical treatment.

She does not want to stop seeing this man because he is the only person who has shown her any romantic attention since her husband past away.

Yesterday, she handed over her credit cards to me, which signifies to me that she is no longer unable to control herself.

Is this enough to file for guardianship? To protect her finances and property?

I called Protective Services today and they said the only way to stop it is to have her doctor say she is incompetent. I am not sure that she is mentally incompentent, but being taken advantage of financially with the hope that she is buying this man affections.

What suggestions do you have to protect her?

Default Re: Guardianship Of an Elderly Parent in Nevada

I don't know of a way to protect her in the absence of her cooperation except by through guardianship proceedings. You can find some information on Nevada guardianships here.

Default Re: Guardianship Of an Elderly Parent in Nevada

Thank you..

1. Sponsored Links