Default Terminating A Lease Early, As A Renter

I signed for a 12 month lease but will have to terminate the lease several months early as a result of finding a home that I want to purchase.

Am I liable for the remaining 6 months on the lease even though I will move out and the contract didnít state specific repercussions for terminating the lease early?

I will gladly forgo my deposit, but paying for rent whilst Iím not there is a whole other issue.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Default Re: Terminating A Lease Early, As A Renter

youwill be responsible for the full payment of the lease. In other words, you will still owe for the remaining 6 months.

Youdid not include your state (which you were prompted to do when you started this thread) so looking up specific statutes is impossible.

a LL is required to mitigate their damages (i.e. attempt to re-rent) but some states have stronger requirements than others in what constitutes "attempt to re-rent"

Default Re: Terminating A Lease Early, As A Renter

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    youwill be responsible for the full payment of the lease. In other words, you will still owe for the remaining 6 months.

Youdid not include your state (which you were prompted to do when you started this thread) so looking up specific statutes is impossible.

a LL is required to mitigate their damages (i.e. attempt to re-rent) but some states have stronger requirements than others in what constitutes "attempt to re-rent"
    Thanks. The state is North Carolina, by the way.

1. Sponsored Links