Question How Can an Independent Contractor Recover Money Owed by a Client

In 1999 I entered into a contract with one of the largest companies of it's kind, and for the first couple of months they paid me correctly , but at this time I didn't know that my contract was about to be breached. I quite the job as a independent contractor in Nov, 2003 and in Oct of the same year the company went public and has been sense that time. I later went back in 2005 as a independent contractor by this time the company was well into obeying the rules that governed a company on the stock market, after returning and upon completing my first pay period of work for the company my first settlement was $8.500 us dollars (eight thousand five hundred dollars.) I had never made this much before with the company before, but upon my arrival back to the company I latter found out that some executive had been arrested by sheriff in the county where the corporate office was located (Hills Borrow County) and that every thing in his office was seized for evidence, apparently he had been scheming money off the independent contractors and not telling the truth about the rates, along with some of the people in the payroll dept in which he was in charge of.

I was not aware of this until I returned in June of 2005, for some reason after signing my contract in June 2005 I received a message from the corporate office informing me that I had a ticket waiting for me after my initial orientation (a five day course for saftey purposes for the line of work I was about to enter)....the saftey orientation was the same as before in 1999 it was mandatory to take this course for every one , even if your a rehire......so I guess my question is I became aware of the possibility of a possible breach of my contract in June 2005 what is the first thing I should do in this case........by the way when I arrived in Michigan state I met with the Senior VP of Operations and a regional VP, I'll go into details about what we talked about , but my question is at this point what should I do. but keep in mind for 5 years I was not aware of a possible breach of my contract, and what made me wonder if they had lied to me all this time was the fact from 1999 thru 2003 I only gross around $1200.00 to 1300.00 hundred dollars every other week some weeks they claim I didn't even gross enough or was in dept because of the use of the equipment , and because of this , some weeks my personal obligations went unattended and it also caused me A great deal of mental anguish and anxiety I lost my house gained new problems with the I.R.S and past due child support, my life was a living hell for those five years, and some people might argue and say , well why did you stay for so long......and my answer is, in this type of business their was money to be made , I also have a passion for doing the type of work and I knew something wasn't right but couldn't zero in on the problem

I worked just as hard as the next independent contractor traveled every major city in the country Canada and Mexico to get the job done, but still other contractors seemed to be doing better than me and it just peeks my curiosity when after the company had been introduced to the public people where arrested and instead of 1200.00 or 1300.00 hundred dollars every other week my first independent contract settlement was for over eight thousand dollars and nothing change in my work habits as a matter of fact I probly did less work that pay period ending than I had ever done before............I need some good advice Texas bandit......Houston,Tx

Default Re: How Can I Recover The Thousands That They Owe Me

It sounds like the bulk of your claim would be expired under the statute of limitations. You may be able to make a late claim under the discovery rule. But I'm not entirely clear whether you actually were promised greater compensation than you received.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    It sounds like the bulk of your claim would be expired under the statute of limitations. You may be able to make a late claim under the discovery rule. But I'm not entirely clear whether you actually were promised greater compensation than you received.
    View Post
    But I'm not entirely clear whether you actually were promised greater compensation than you received.
    There were no promises for compensation verbally, The contract agreement was binding as was in the beginning until the very end, and I do believe a written concise contract with the laws that govern this type of service or labor would be better than a verbal promise or a verbal agreement , whether you where promised greater compensation or a lesser compensation , the contract was standard and the same as 3,000 other individual contracts, of whom provided the same service in no way different than the other,and I know that it might be hard to believe that a group of people would beable to pull the wool over another person head for so long, but it's not completly out of the question that it did happen.........my question still remains unanswered ( How can I Recovery The Thousands Of Dollars That They Owe Me )........but I do thank you for the insite on the discovery rule

You were paid. You say you weren't promised a penny more than you were paid. That's normally the end of the story.

View Post
    You were paid. You say you weren't promised a penny more than you were paid. That's normally the end of the story.
    I don't understand the comment , would you please elaborate . But before you do , let me step out of the legal realm for a minute , and into the moral realm. I have a strong conviction that every man should be able to enjoy the fruits of his own labor and that simply means if you have the desire to go out and work for what you want in life, do the work or provide the service , than you should be able to reap the rewards. Not some one else who sits in a cubical with your name and number in front of a computer and dictate what you bring to the table for your family, and I also believe that not only was there a breach of contract but also a breach of trust and respect, compromising the integrity of a company is one thing, but when you take away a mans ability to provide for his family I believe you commit a far more worse crime than any law in any state acknowledges about white collar crime. I do have faith in our system and although it hasn't happened yet I believe one day big corporation will not be able to lobby for their best interest alone and create laws that protect the rich and trample on the poor , we all had to start some where, but .......some people have forgotten where the come from.............I've learned in my 36 yrs of life , that nothing in life is ever guaranteed , but history proves that change is , and so on that note I'll stay optimistic about how our leaders of this country will set out a new legal reform , rules and responsibilities for big corporation to live up to. and although I'm not clear on your comment it almost sounds like your implying that I was paid. so my Question still remains How Can I Recover The Thousands That They Owe Me ?

1. Sponsored Links