Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Can A Private Health Insurance Company Cancel You Then Refuse To Sell Coverage

Any lawyers in malpractice, health insurance, or negligence: I would love to hear from you on this matter.

This is my situation. I am 31 years old, a FT student, with a disability because of OCD. I was under my Mother's policy with Kaiser Permanente for the past twenty years until only a few months ago. They canceled me from the policy (it was a family policy, including my Mom, step dad, and I) suddenly, without a proper explanation. I then tried to get a policy for just myself through Kaiser, and they rejected me. They refused to allow me coverage, because that I am 'obese' and I have hypertensions. I can't contest those facts. I weigh approximately 270 pounds, and I am five foot ten. I do have high blood pressure. But I have experienced mental anguish over their refusal to allow me coverage. I desperately need my medications, and there are no other available to me. Do I have enough reasons to sue Kaiser? This is not fair.

Default Re: Can I sue a private health insurance company if they reject me for coverage, when

It may or may not be fair, at least from your point of view, but unless you are in Massachusetts or Maine they can reject any application they choose to. They are not legally obligated to sell you a policy.

Try another carrier.

Default Re: Can A Private Health Insurance Company Cancel You Then Refuse To Sell Coverage

Quote Quoting haddinsoul
    View Post
    Any lawyers in malpractice, health insurance, or negligence: I would love to hear from you on this matter.

This is my situation. I am 31 years old, a FT student, with a disability because of OCD. I was under my Mother's policy with Kaiser Permanente for the past twenty years until only a few months ago. They canceled me from the policy (it was a family policy, including my Mom, step dad, and I) suddenly, without a proper explanation. I then tried to get a policy for just myself through Kaiser, and they rejected me. They refused to allow me coverage, because that I am 'obese' and I have hypertensions. I can't contest those facts. I weigh approximately 270 pounds, and I am five foot ten. I do have high blood pressure. But I have experienced mental anguish over their refusal to allow me coverage. I desperately need my medications, and there are no other available to me. Do I have enough reasons to sue Kaiser? This is not fair.
    Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Can A Private Health Insurance Company Cancel You Then Refuse To Sell Coverage

You may have trouble getting a policy based on your history but shop around. You might try a broker who sells for more than one company.

Thanks for your all replays.

Default Re: Can I sue a private health insurance company if they reject me for coverage, when

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    It may or may not be fair, at least from your point of view, but unless you are in Massachusetts or Maine they can reject any application they choose to. They are not legally obligated to sell you a policy.

Try another carrier.
    Thanks for your response, cbg. I am going to do some investigation. Since they canceled me, then refused to allow me coverage, they should have it all in black and white- the rules, I mean. It should be included and stipulated in the contract. We'll see what happens.

Quote Quoting haddinsoul
    View Post
    Thanks for your response, cbg. I am going to do some investigation. Since they canceled me, then refused to allow me coverage, they should have it all in black and white- the rules, I mean. It should be included and stipulated in the contract. We'll see what happens.
    Underwriting guidelines are in black and white. But, the only person who sees the underwriting guidelines are the underwriters.

However, they should have given an explanation of why you were cancelled (ie you're too old to be on your parents' policy), and a reason why you were declined.

I wondered about that myself - why he was cancelled from the original policy w/o explanation.

Being a former underwriter, his medical hx was probably why he was declined for a new policy - actually he says that is the reason in his 1st post. He needs to try elsewhere for coverage.

Quote Quoting Betty3
    View Post
    I wondered about that myself - why he was cancelled from the original policy w/o explanation.

Being a former underwriter, his medical hx was probably why he was declined for a new policy - actually he says that is the reason in his 1st post. He needs to try elsewhere for coverage.
    Thanks for your replay.

You're welcome.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast