Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1

    Default Can A Permanent Resident Get Medicaid

    I sponsored someone from my family to help them get a green card. The person needs medical care but can't afford it (they are 65 years old). We are in Louisiana. Can the person apply for Medicaid or will the state sue me later for the bills since I took all of the financial responsibility since I sponsored the person?


    Just to clarify - the person is not eligible for Medicare because they never worked in the US.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2005

    Default Re: Can A Permanent Resident Get Medicaid?

    You would be responsible for any Medicaid payments during the duration of your affidavit of support, which is usually ten years:
    Quote Quoting What are My Responsibilities as a Sponsor?
    When you sign the Affidavit of Support, you accept legal responsibility for financially supporting the sponsored immigrant(s) until they become U.S. citizens or can be credited with 40 quarters of work. Any joint sponsors or household members whose income is used to meet the minimum income requirements are also legally responsible for financially supporting the sponsored immigrant. If the immigrant receives any "means-tested public benefits," you are responsible for repaying the cost of those benefits to the agency that provided them. If you do not repay the debt, the agency can sue you in court to get the money owed. When in doubt, ask the benefit provider whether the benefit is a "means-tested public benefit."

    Currently, Federal means-tested public benefits include Food Stamps, Medicaid, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), and the State Child Health Insurance Program (CHIP). States and local jurisdictions may also designate certain of their programs as means-tested public benefits.

    The following types of programs are not counted as means-tested public benefits: emergency Medicaid; short-term, non-cash emergency relief; services provided under the National School Lunch and Child Nutrition Acts; immunizations and testing and treatment for communicable diseases; student assistance under the Higher Education Act and the Public Health Service Act; certain forms of foster-care or adoption assistance under the Social Security Act; Head Start programs; means-tested programs under the Elementary and Secondary Education Act; and Job Training Partnership Act programs.
    Eligibility for Medicaid can vary by state. (Some details here.)

    1. Sponsored Links

Similar Threads

  1. Marriage: Can I Get Married to a Permanent Resident
    By Manman in forum Visas for Business, Tourism and Family
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-16-2010, 11:08 PM
  2. Marriage: Wife is Here on H1b, Wants to Become Permanent Resident
    By gtgoodri in forum Visas for Business, Tourism and Family
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-08-2009, 06:32 PM
  3. Marriage: Permanent Resident Married to Non-Resident-Out of Status
    By civma in forum Visas for Business, Tourism and Family
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-11-2009, 03:04 PM
  4. Legal Permanent Residency: Drug Use by a Permanent Resident
    By akoylop14 in forum Permanent Residency and Naturalization
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-22-2009, 05:01 PM
  5. Marriage: Permanent resident and trying to marry
    By jrx in forum Visas for Business, Tourism and Family
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-03-2006, 11:05 PM
Sponsored Links

Legal Help, Information and Resources

Forum Sponsor
Legal Forms - Buy easy-to-use legal forms.