Default Want deceased father's medical records

Talked to nursing home and his doctor, but I'm told I must get a court subpeona (IN) to see my estranged late father's med records. No one is opposing me- I think the only person granted access (non relative) is now deceased also. My sole reason is to trace a paternal medical history- especially Alzheimer's Disease. Must it go through court? Must I have an attorney? I must add that my father gave up my legal custody 55 years ago and I was adopted by a stepfather.

Default Obtaining Medical Records of Deceased Parent

Was an estate ever opened for your father? If so, you may be able to re-open the old estate file and subpoena the records through the estate proceedings.

Default Deceased father's med records

To aaron: Thanks for your reply. I'll check Indiana Estate records- if I'm permitted. Should I be involving an attorney from the start?

Default Getting Medical Records

If the estate might be in a different state from where you live, or if when you make inquiries with the clerk of the court things seem confusing (or it appears that they won't be helpful), you may wish to use a lawyer. You may also wish to check with a lawyer before you proceed to confirm the procedure you must follow for the state in which this is occurring.

1. Sponsored Links