Default Shoplifting at Macy's

i got caught taking 2 shirts, jewelry at macys, it was under $100 but i dont know exact amount. it was under 155.25 macys already contacted thru a letter in florida that they want $500 in cival penalties.

is it usual for lawyers in other states to contact you like this, even though crime was in ny? they even want me to mail it to florida, so it sounds suspicious.

i was arrested for something similar before, but i was a minor. as an adult this is my first offense. will the judge know/ hold me accountable for offense done as a minor? what do you think the penalty will be?

Default Re: shoplifting macy's, ny

Quote Quoting noswiping
    is it usual for lawyers in other states to contact you like this, even though crime was in ny? they even want me to mail it to florida, so it sounds suspicious.
    The store probably contracts with a Florida company to handle its demand notices.

Quote Quoting noswiping
    i was arrested for something similar before, but i was a minor. as an adult this is my first offense. will the judge know/ hold me accountable for offense done as a minor? what do you think the penalty will be?
    The court may know about the offense you committed as a minor; "it depends". The penalty will probably be a fine, court costs, probation, and possibly community service.

were you arrest for this and given a court date? Or did the store just let you go and only civil demand you? If you were arrested and have an upcomming court date you need a lawyer, asap.

If you were not arrested and only detained and given a civil demand to pay a fine, via letter. What does this mean... could it mean that it will be kept within the store?

1. Sponsored Links