Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Anyone in an MBS Property?

If anyone lives in a property under management by MBS Management Services, I'd love to hear about your experience(s) there.

Default MBS Management Company

The owner of MBS Management services is a bona fide slum lord. Not only does he not pay ANY of his vendors, he doesn't pay utility bills for his apartment complexes. The tenants are required to pay their water, but the water and gas are cut off on some complexes on a regular basis. He distributes NSF checks to his employees, all of them who make under $700 bi-weekly. It took him up to a month to make the checks good. Now he has been a week late in paying them twice. He continues to milk the hurricane that happened in Louisiana. He buys beautiful apartments and then stops paying all the bills, he stops buying supplies to fix items in the apartments and he doesn't care at all about the residents or his employees. He has so many lawsuits against him his assistant's time is spent on virtually nothing but gathering information to dispute them. He has the labor board, the EEOC, and every code enforcement agency in Houston and Dallas looking for him. They actually arrested one of the managers for code violations because Mike Smuck refused to pay the fines.

One of his employees in Houston found out she had cancer and Mr Smuck immediately demoted her, cut her pay, and increased her hours. This case, according to the EEOC, will be a precedent setting case. So far Mr. Smuck has refused to give the EEOC the time of day. He is above everyone, including his tenants and his employees.

His theory on returning deposit refunds is not to because if only 1 out of 100 ex tenants take him to court and win 3 x the amount of their original deposit, he still comes out way ahead. I could go on and on, but all you have to do is talk to any MBS employee and they will give you an ear full. Go to apartmentratings.com and look up Claremore or the Mansions or any mbs property and you will see a lot of tenant complaints.

May I ask why you started this thread?

Default Trash

Trashy Situation Builds At Apartment Complex

POSTED: 5:23 pm CDT June 21, 2005
    UPDATED: 5:42 pm CDT June 21, 2005

LEWISVILLE, Texas -- Trash overflowed from garbage bins at the Huntington Circle Apartments in Lewisville, and residents said the situation has been building for weeks.

"It's been like this for three weeks, piling up," resident Sandra Rayford. "We got wood rats out here. You can smell the trash when you get out your car."

Other residents said the accumulation of trash presented a heath hazard, particularly for children.

"It's unhealthty. It's not good for the kids playing around here," resident Mary Bryant said. "It will bring flies and rodents and things that carry diseases."

Workers at the leasing office, located in the 400 block of West Round Grove Road, left early Tuesday. They said the office, which was without electricity, was too hot. Some of the workers said the management company -- MBS Management Services Inc. of Metairie, La. -- was late in paying the office electric bill and the waste collection bill.

"They don't fix stuff, but they want their rent on time," Rayford said.

The Lewisville Code Enforcement Department issued a warning citation to MBS. Tuesday afternoon, a code enforcement official said the bills had been paid.

The chief of code enforcement said the complex would be assessed a $2,000 daily fine if the trash is not collected by Friday.

Default More trash

Trash, Trash, and More Trash!
    Date posted: 6/23/2005
    Years at this apartment: 2004-2005
    3 responses

I have lived here for a little over a year and this place has gone to hell in a hand basket in such a short time. The new management does not seem to mind that the place is just NASTY. The trash everywhere is just GROSS and the management doesn't find anything wrong with it.

This past weekend the trash was really bad. It was overflowing on Friday and by Saturday, it was everywhere. When I was getting into my car Saturday morning, I heard a lady scream. She ran away from the garbage compound and told me that there
    were RATS (not mice) eating the trash. The rats didn't eat enough trash because it piled up even more that afternoon.

I called the office and they told me that someone would be there to do something with the trash in a few minutes. That didn't happen. By Sunday, trash was overflowing from the compound and there were bags of trash and pieces of junk all over the parking lot. I called the office again on Monday afternoon and was told that someone would be around that afternoon to do something about the trash. Someone from the complex did show up and dumped a pickup truck load of trash in the parking lot outside the trash compound. It was even worse. By then, the office had already closed, so I couldn't call and complain. Finally when I came home from work on Tuesday, the trash had been removed.

This happens every week at the Colonnade. I'm sure it's not this bad at any of the section 8 apartments. The Colonnade has become Trash Heaven--or maybe Hell. I can't wait until my lease is up to get out of the trash and into something decent.

Default Deposit refunds, one example

No Security Deposit Refund!!
    Date posted: 9/16/2005
    Years at this apartment: 2005-2005

We were in between homes and moved into The View because they offered MTM leases. For being an upscale apt. community the carpeting was horrible. I called in a work order when we moved in because one side of our kitchen sink leaked and in the 60 days that we lived there (3 calls) it was never fixed. Bugs were a major problem! The landscaping was all dead and ugly. It was obviously they were stealing from one apt. to fix another. A whole a/c unit was missing from outside our apt. We left the apt. immaculate, gave proper notice and it has now been 32 days and no refund!! We moved out on 8/11 and now they are blaming Katrina for no refund. Any excuse MBS can find they will use!

If you are due a refund and have not received you can file in small claims court for 3 times your deposit and court fees. Filing is approx. $67. I think it's worth it!

Hi Tenant's Advocate.

I'm currently in a post-30 day deposit situation, filing in small claims tomorrow for my triple + $100 + costs, to which I doubt anyone will show at. (I've sent him TWO certified deposit request letters, and haven't heard back.)

Yes, Smuck is the Slumlord of the South, and how any state or local government knowingly allows him to operate in their state (when they know that the burden is going to fall on them) is beyond me.

Sure, it's legal to purchase properties on high-leverage, fill them up with Section 8 vouchers, milk the cashflow, and defer the maintenance...but it seems that not paying debts is part of his business strategy, and that doesn't seem as legal. In Florida, I'm pretty confident that condemnation by the government is part of his business plan too. (Check out articles from the Tampa Tribune)

And yes, you're absolutely right about the 1 in 100 that will file. My hope is to change that by doing it myself, succeeding, and then reporting the precise procedure to every single tenant possible. Even if he somehow manages to avoid paying me or has planned some loophole involving his multiple shell corporations, I have an alternative legal plan that looks promising. (both for getting my money back and getting the government to do something about him).

I posted this thread because I wanted to know if anyone else has actually tried to remedy their situation with him (i.e. sue, win, and actually get paid).

Thanks for posting,

Thanks

Default Lawsuits

Many people have won, but not nearly as many as have been jerked around by this man. Dallas is about to shut him down for code violations. He totally ignores authorities until the very last minute, and then he somehow always gets out of it.

Good luck on the deposit refund. If you go on their website, there is the new phone number and address for their Houston office. www.mbscompanies.com

Yup, sent my notice twice to the temp Houston office already. I also contacted many of their offices by phone and was sent all over and told to leave messages, call back, etc. And of course, everyone claimed that all was Katrina's fault. It's also Katrina's fault that I never received my final water bill, which they are supposed to call me back about in...days ago.

So did MBS actually pay the judgements, or did the Sheriff have to seize and sell?. Do you know if the plantiffs were sueing MBS Management Services in particular?

As far as Smuck getting out of his obligations, I'm sure that he has the right contacts in the right places.

Are you an attorney or just an interested person?

Thanks

Default oddly enough

He never retains an attorney until he absolutely has to. He hands everything to his assistants and to the VP located in Houston and her underlings. Even with the EEOC suits he has yet to retain an attorney. He is smarter than that, remember?

Which judgments?

Here is what he does with vendors, he gets them to extend credit and then used them and does not pay them AT ALL. They then do a mechanics lien on his properties, he continues not to pay them and thumbs his nose at them until they all finally go to court (he has been known to shop up with nothing but a few pages from the Redbook, no lawyer) and he offers pennies on the dollar and the vendor will usually accept. Or, he pays them when he sells the properties. He is a heartless jerk. You can find a lawsuit online where a family sued him over the death of their husband/father. Smuck wouldn't replace the security lights or fix the access gates on the propery, a man went to his car to go to work and he was shot and killed by a robber in the parking lot. When the robber was arrested and questioned, he said he picked that property because it was easy in and out and it was dark. I don't know how much the family settled with Smuck for, but it was a lot.

I've seen people go weeks without water or an a/c in the dead heat of summer and he will blatantly refuse to approve payment to fix the problems. He will drive by the properties when he is in town but he will NOT go into the office because he knows how loathed he is by employees and tenants.

You need to talk to S. Johnson at the houston office to try to get your deposit back. I wish you would take him to court instead, he deserves to have to pay.

I'm talking about judgements against him, like those given in small claims court. My suit is for non-return of a security deposit after more than thirty days.

I AM taking him to court, or at least getting him served. How he responds (or if he does at all) is up to him. I'm finished talking with all of his underlings. I'm filing with my JP for my $100 civil, 3x my deposit, and any fees. If he doesn't respond, I get the judgement. I then get a writ, and eventually get the funds.

You don't seem like an attorney, so I'm wondering what your interest is with Smuck. What does "Tenant's Advocate" apply to?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast