Default Student Loan-State Disability-California

I was going to online school, working for husband and obtained student loan for the education. Husband decided on ugly divorce, fired me, left me unemployed since Feb 06. So ugly, I could not concentrate on school so dropped with the admissions office and financial aid offices knowing I would return in Sept. Called and asked for deferment to Nov. Approved.
    Student loan creditor sent account to collections, found out when I called to re-enroll into school. Can't go back, no income except state disability and collection agency says they can attach federal and state disability. Is this true?

Default Re: Student Loan-State Disability-California

I have no information about which disability benefits they are threatening to attach, so I can't answer. Please fill in the missing details.

They are threatening to attach my SSI I hope to receive due to bi-polar disease, I keep getting fired after only working for two to three months. I am currently in the process of the application being approved.
    I am on state disability for a year due to my bi-polar disease or until my SSI is approved.
    If the SSI does not get approved, while I appeal, and if the state of California disability runs out, I can reapply for unemployment.
    The collection agency feels all of these public assistance programs are available for garnishment. I also receive some alimony and child support from the ex.
    Does this help? I hope I answered your initial question.

Social Security benefits can be garnished to repay Federal debts. The garnishment cannot reduce your benefit below $750 per month, and cannot exceed 15% of your benefit.

1. Sponsored Links