Default How To Get the Process of Emancipation Started

I am 17 (turn 18 in feb), have a job were I work 40 hours a week, and am a honor roll student at school. Never been arrested, never even recieved a ticket.

Now, at home, I have been verbally abused by my father. I am treated unequally compared to my younger sibling; he has lots of expensive things (ie computers, game consoles, dirtbikes, RV, etc) that were given to him, where I have only what I myself can afford to buy. I have also been screwed over royally several times by my dad (see my other post) I need to get away from this.

My parents won't consent to me moving out to my own place. They think since I'm under 18, I can't. (Is that true?)
    How would I get the process of emancipation started?
    (And please don't say its not worth it because I turn 18 in a few months because it is worth it to me..)

Default Re: How?

They are correct. You cannot move out without permission until you are 18. Nor can you be emancipated without their okay.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    They are correct. You cannot move out without permission until you are 18. Nor can you be emancipated without their okay.
    I thought I heard a way around the not being emancipated without their consent by having a hearing.. is that true?

A step-by-step guide to California emancipation is here. The chances of emancipation are best when you have parental consent (or acquiescence); it is possible to emancipate without parental consent but your parents must be informed of the hearing and can appear and object. ("If your parents won't give you permission to get emancipated, get a hearing date from the clerk and tell your parents about the hearing.")

Default Re: How To Get the Process of Emancipation Started

Don't bother mine took 4 months and I was lucky that it wasn't longer. sorry.

1. Sponsored Links