Default Deductions Made, But Premiums Not Paid To Insurer

I left an employer in August and discovered that they had taken deductions from my paychecks for hosp., cancer and vision insurance, but did not remit them to the insurers. They also took deductions for health and dental and DID pay those insurers.

The hosp. and cancer insurers have all my information and even have account numbers set up for me, but they never received payment from my employer. The vision insurance never hear of me. These three policies were all paid via payroll deduction, no employer contribution was required.

Hope this isn't TMI, but I got a routine mammogram in August and the cancer policy was to pay $75, which is the main reason that I took out the policy.

What should I do? I am now self-employed and want to keep those policies.

Default Re: Deductions Made, But Premiums Not Paid To Insurer

A couple of questions:

What state are you in?

How many employees did your employer have?

Were you sent any information about COBRA?

I'm in FL and there were 75 employees. When I hadn't heard from them in a couple of weeks, I sent an e-mail request for my COBRA info. I received the packet 10 days later (just a month after leaving). There was only information for two of the policies in the packet.

What did the COBRA information tell you with regards to making further payments? The withdrawals your employer took would only cover the first month or so. You are responsible for making subsequent payments. Did you?

It was the health and dental policies that you received COBRA information for, right?

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    What did the COBRA information tell you with regards to making further payments? The withdrawals your employer took would only cover the first month or so. You are responsible for making subsequent payments. Did you?

It was the health and dental policies that you received COBRA information for, right?
    The withdrawals that the employer took for three of the policies while I was employed there were never sent by the employer to the insurance companies.

In August, when I was employed there, they took deductions for hospitalization, cancer, vision and dental policies. My main health insurance was 100% employer-paid. My company remitted payment to the main health and dental insurers. They did not remit any funds for the vision, hosp. or cancer policies.

I tried to submit my August mammo receipt for the $75 reimbursement on the cancer policy in early Sept. and was told that an account had been set up in August, but no payment was received from my employer. They also looked up the hospitalization policy and said the same thing was true with that policy- account set up my my company, but no payment made to them.

I was to begin paying through COBRA beginning in Sept., but they only sent me docs to sign for the main health and dental coverage. I received their package on Sept. 27, six weeks after I left the agency. (I sent an e-mail requesting my COBRA docs on Sept. 3.)

I completed the forms and returned them, along with a letter stating that I would also like to contune the cancer, hospitalization and vision coverage. I included additional money for those policies using my paystub deductions to get the amount due.

I think at this point your best bet is to contact the US DOL and ask them if you have a valid COBRA violation. I think you do, but they're the regulatory agency for that and can walk you through the process better than I can.

1. Sponsored Links