Default Open Car Door in a Traffic Lane

Does anyone know the law in Maryland regarding an open door in a traffic lane. Specifically does it matter if the door was being opened as a car was driving by vs. already opened when hit. Also for a car that is parallel parked on the side of the road that does not have lines to delineate parking spot from travel lane how can it be determined if a door was opened with in a parking space vs. in the travel lane.

heres what happend...

I was driving down the road at night after work and heard a noise as if i had hit something, pulled over looked for damage and was approached by someone asking for my insurance. They were parallel parked along the road at a metered space it was night and dark and I had not seen their open door. I think if it was already opened the dome light would've been on and I would have seen them/the door, but the other party claims they were sitting there with their door open for sometime. I was not speeding or distracted in anyway, did not hit any other cars parked along the road including the back of her car and did not even hit with the front of my car but near the wheel well where the car gets slightly wider. She is also claiming that her door was within the parking space even though there are no lines marking parking space vs. travel lane.

Default Re: Open Car Door in a Traffic Lane

Here's the statute:
    Quote Quoting Maryland Code, Transportation 21-1105. Opening and closing vehicle doors.
    (a) Opening door.- A person may not open the door of a motor vehicle on any side available to moving traffic unless:
    (1) It is reasonably safe to do so; and

(2) It can be done without interfering with the movement of other traffic.

(b) Failing to close door.- A person may not leave a door open on any side of a vehicle available to moving traffic for any period longer than necessary to load or unload passengers.

Thank you. The insurance company is telling me that it doesnt matter that her door was open illegally I still shouldn't have hit it. Any ideas?

If you can't come to terms for a settlement, you can always sue.

1. Sponsored Links