Default Homeowner Rights and a Power Line Easement in North Carolina

I'm in Raleigh, NC. When we bought our house w/ a half acre lot, there was an easement on the property, from Carolina Power & Light. We received a copy of the plat, showing the easement, but didn't receive the actual easement documentation, which, I assume would've detailed the easement.

Sometime between the time the house was built in 1994, and 2007 Carolina Power and Light was bought by Progress Energy. Progress Energy now want's to destroy a substantial number of trees on our property, that they claim, endanger their lines. They've done this to other people in Raleigh and left the homeowners to clean up the mess. What rights do I have

I've asked PE to produce the original easement documents. If they can't do they have to renegociate with me? Can I require them to trim the trees instead?

I don't want to be bullied by a giant conglomerate. What can I do?

Default Re: Homeowner Rights and a Powerline Easement in North Carolina

Progress Energy will be happy to furnish you with a copy of their easement on your property. You will need to go to their website, download the forms, properly complete them, submit them, and wait 90 to 150 days for their reply.

If you need it more quickly, and I sense that you do, you should visit your county registrar of deeds, where the easement should be recorded. You will need the actual terms of the easement to determine what they can cut. Many electric easements give the power company the right to clear on and off the easement based on their sole judgment of what might "interfere" with their operation.

Good Luck

1. Sponsored Links