Default Property Tax Judgement on a Credit Report

I recently reviewed my credit report and found a judgement against me (which was most likely joint with my father as we co-owned the car) for a property tax. I have never received any communication about this tax, either written or via phone.

The tax is a property tax for my car which was always registered in Maryland (same address) while I attended a University in Virginia. I've reviewed the codes and technically I never should have been liable for this tax, but the odd loophole is that property tax for automobiles does not exist in Maryland, so I cannot prove it was paid here (as would typically get me out of this).

If I actually pay this bill, is there a possibility of removing it from my credit report? I'm horrified to see it as for one, it never should have been billed to begin with, and two, I was never contacted to pay the bill!

Default Re: Judgement on Credit Report: Virginia Tax

Q: If I actually pay this bill, is there a possibility of removing it from my credit report?

A: Yes; pay it and get a satisfaction. Then show the three credit reporting agencies. Do all this in writing and save everything till your last great-grandchild is born.

But won't it still show up that I had a withstanding bill for 1.5 years even if I pay it now? I really want to have it removed completely however don't have the money to hire a lawyer to do so, not to mention I don't know if I can get out of it.

My fury is that I would have sucked it up and paid it had I ever known it existed! Now it is ruining my credit.

If you do as I say, it will go a long way to repairing your credit.

1. Sponsored Links