Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy Roommate's Nonpaying Boyfriend Won't Leave

I rent an apartment in Rhode Island with one roommate. Her boyfriend has been staying here for months now, claiming it's temporary, but he keeps pushing back the date he plans to leave (currently it's vague...sometime in the future). Although he has not been paying any rent (seeing as he's a "visitor") he just decided to start paying my roommate half of her rent (he's not paying the landlord--just chipping in to my roommate for her half).

He has moved all of his belongings into our apartment. Our lease specifies that no other tenants may live there who are not on the lease (only me and my roommate). My roommate argues that she pays half the rent and can have whatever guests she likes stay with her. Our lease does not specify what length of time is "living" there versus "visiting," so I don't know what argument can be made there, but it has been going on for months with an indefinite future.

Furthermore, the boyfriend has threatened me before (including to beat me up) when I have done things that he or his girlfriend, my roommate, did not like. I probably should have contacted the police right after those times, but I guess I didn't put much stock in them at the time. It's been a while since that has happened, so I do not know if that makes a difference.

What can I do? I have hesitated to contact my landlord, as my impression is that he'd rather have nothing to do with it as long as the rent gets paid. Should I contact him and see if eviction would be possible? Or should I contact the police first?

panther10758 Guest

Default Re: Roommate's nonpaying boyfriend won't leave

If the lease says no one but tenants it means that! Staying "months" is not visitng! Use caution no matter what you do because you might not just lose the BF you could lose the roomate as well and even though she may be required to pay she may not if she leaves. That leaves you paying the rent and sueing her for her share!

Default Re: Roommate's nonpaying boyfriend won't leave

At this point I am fine with losing the roommate! I can probably find a subletter (that is allowed in our lease) and can pay the full rent in the meantime. Do you think I should contact my landlord first?

panther10758 Guest

Default Re: Roommate's Nonpaying Boyfriend Won't Leave

Its up to you but I would give GF chance to fix things before you go to landlord

You mean suggest that if he doesn't move out I will talk to the landlord? I've done that many many times... Their argument is always the same: she's paying half the rent; he's her temporary guest. They say they'd be "fine" with talking to the landlord, as they assume they are doing nothing wrong.

panther10758 Guest

Then if it were me I would have that talk with landlord

Thanks for your help, panther!
    Your advice seems good; if anyone else has any input, I'd welcome other opinions.
    Should I talk to the landlord on my own first, or would it be better to arrange a meeting with my roommate and her boyfriend there, too?

One other thing: someone advised me that I could possibly get a restraining order on the BF considering he's threatened me. Does it seem like I could possibly get one in this situation? And if so, does that seem a better route to ensure he's removed? I'm worried that if the landlord only forces him to move out, he'll rent a place nearby and still be at our place all the time.

Quote Quoting astudent
    View Post
    Should I talk to the landlord on my own first, or would it be better to arrange a meeting with my roommate and her boyfriend there, too?
    You know these people, and we don't. What do you think?
    Quote Quoting astudent
    View Post
    One other thing: someone advised me that I could possibly get a restraining order on the BF considering he's threatened me. Does it seem like I could possibly get one in this situation?
    These are the threats you didn't take sufficiently seriously to either call the police or seek safe refuge elsewhere? That's not the most compelling case I can imagine.

Mr. Knowitall, your alias describes you well! Still, thanks for your input. I'm going to talk to my landlord alone (to avoid a ridiculous spectacle that my roommate & her BF are prone to cause).

Agreed, the case doesn't sound too compelling, I suppose, at this point.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast