Default Clearing U.S. Customs With An Arrest Warrant

Hello everybody. Seems like a great forum. I've seen plenty of threads dealing with this very topic, but as each individuals' circumstances are different, so are mine. Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

About a year ago I left the country for another job without completing the terms of my inf. probation on a misdemeanor theft charge. In the meantime a friend, or ex-friend has accused me of theft, evidently went to the police and now says she has gotten a warrant on my passport. She says that I will not be allowed to return to the states and will be arrested upon arrival.

Obviously you can't get a warrant on a passport, only a person. My questions is how will not completing my probation, which I'm sure resulted in a warrant, affect a possible new warrant of the same previous charge. Also, what's the likelyhood I will actually be detained upon arrival in CA, now having two warrants, even if those are from IA? I know I've seen plenty of similar questions, but any help would be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Clearing US Customs With An Arrest Warrant

You're a U.S. citizen?

Yes, I'm a US citizen.

You can return to the United States. If you have outstanding warrants you may be questioned by customs and, particularly if you enter through the state which entered the warrants, detention is a possibility.

if you try to cross the border with warrents, imigration will take you into custody and turn you over to the american officals. this is a fact. my advise is not to take that chance or be prepared to face your past

The balance seems to be shifting - we used to get a lot of posts here about people getting through customs despite having warrants, but now we're getting a growing number of reports of people being detained at customs.

Default Re: Clearing U.S. Customs With An Arrest Warrant

Thanks for the responses. Anyone curious, I did travel back to the U.S. at the end of December and after arriving at LAX, was obviously a little nervous about the whole situation. The agent just swiped my passport and sent me on my way, never saying a word.
    Needless to say I was relieved and right now I'm in the process of taking care of my legal issues. My advice, don't let warrants happen in the first place and if you got one, chances are you won't be detained at the border unless what you did is something real serious...

Default Re: Clearing U.S. Customs With An Arrest Warrant

What about interstate flying?

1. Sponsored Links