Angry Mortgage Company Did Not Pay Property Taxes

I live in Michigan and until Heartwell Mortgage Co. imploded, my mortgage was with them. My mortgage now lies with a new company. As per my loan agreement (which all the specifics transfered with our loan) I paid so much money into an escrow account with my mortgage payment and that in turn paid my property taxes and homeowners insurance. Two days ago I received a letter from our county treasurer's office saying my home was going to be foreclosed because my 2006 property taxes were not paid. I called Heartwell and every number listed was disconnected. I am at a loss on what to do. I really do not want to pay taxes that I have already paid once before!

Default Re: Heartwell Mortgage Company Ripped Me Off!

Have you contacted your new mortgage company? Your escrow funds should have transferred to the new company.

Also, I believe that you have a period of redemption to pay the taxes, but again, contact the new mortgage company to have them forward your escrow funds to your county to pay them.

Pay your taxes first, then go fight it out.

Default Re: Mortgage Company Did Not Pay Property Taxes

I did contact the current mortgage company and they said it will take up to 30 days to investigate I am just trying to be productive in the mean time. The thing about it is the taxes that were not paid were during the time that Heartwell had the mortgage the new company acquired our loan a few months later. If it comes down to it I will pay them again as I don't want to lose my home.

Quote Quoting seniorjudge
    View Post
    Pay your taxes first, then go fight it out.
    That seems like very good advice. Your new mortgage company will likely sort it out but they won't feel the same sense of urgency that you do.

1. Sponsored Links