Default Drawing a photograph

Am I voilating any copyright laws be drawing photographs I've found in magazines or books? My intention is to sell these drawings.

Default Drawing Photographs

It sounds like you are talking about reproducing somewhat unique (or unique), copyrighted photographs as drawings. It is likely that the drawing you produced would be considered under copyright law to be a "derivative work', subject to the copyrights of both the person who holds copyright on the photograph, as well as your copyright for your own original contributions. If that's the case, you would ordinaily need permission of the copyright holder to lawfully sell your drawings.

I wouldn't consider the photographs I'm using as unique. The subjects are commonly photogragh places such as scenes from national parks. For example, there are probably thousands of photographs of the Golden Gate bridge taken from the same spot. If I'd take one of these photos out of a thousands and used it as a reference for a drawing with little deviation from the subject, would I still need to seek permission from the photographer?

Default Copying Photographs

If you're basing your new work on somebody else's copyrighted work, you should respect their copyright; but if your pictures are generic and they cannot be associated with any given photograph (and don't reproduce unique features from any given photograph), it seems unlikely that anybody would ever suspect the source of your inspiration.

1. Sponsored Links