Default Question about Reinsertion

I had a collection show up on my report a few years ago and didn't recognize the amount, the original company or dates, so I disputed it. After 30 days it was taken off. I recently pulled my report and it looks like it is back but under a different collection agency.

I disputed it again and told the credit reporting companies that I already disputed this but they came back and said it was verified.

The worst part about this, is it is from 2001 and now my scores are 50 points lower because it looks brand new and it has crippled me from refinancing out of my ARM in the next month or so.

From what I was told the statute of limitations is 6 years here in Michigan and the collection agency went so far as to send me a form letter with a "this is an attempt to collect a debt" line. Yet, they haven't provided "any" information about the debt even though I disputed it.

How can Equifax and the rest say they verified it with a "meets FCRA requirements" line on my report when the collection agency hasn't given me any information?

Can a collection agency put things on your report with telling you details about it?

Isn't it some kind of violation for trying to collect after the statute of limitations expired?

Default Re: Question about Reinsertion

The CRA doesn't validate the debt. The creditor does. The CRA just goes back to the creditor and asks if the debt is legit. If there is no response, then it is deleted.

Default Re: Question about Reinsertion

I am assuming the collection agency gave them info because they didn't delete it from any of the reports and closed the dispute.

I asked about this on another forum and someone suggested it couldn't be reinserted in the first place but I questioned their legal background. They said something about Equifax and them having to send me justification for reinsertion within 5 days. Is that accurate because I have got nothing from the reporting agency after 2 weeks and just a form letter from the collection agency stating they were unable to validate? What is validation? From what you are saying that if the collection agency couldn't validate, it would be deleted is confusing because I got a letter from the collection agency saying they couldn't validate.

1. Sponsored Links