Default The Statute of Limitations for Malpractice in Georgia

Hey everyone. I promise this is unrelated to my collections question(s). Honestly, I've a lot of medical questions at this point since all the answers seem to do is bring more questions to light. Unfortunate that most aren't of the legal sort.

I've seen that the SOL for old medical bills is probably about 4 or 6 years... but I can't seem to find as clear an answer on the SOL for medical malpractice. What is the SOL for medical malp? Would negligence play a role in determining the SOL? How significant a role would later discovery have (example- I have all the markers of leukemia for each visit during a years time where my condition continues to worsen but am never tested and later discover I do indeed have leukemia)?

The state is GA and the medical personnel are all 'attached' to the hospital. They are ER personnel and/or are connected in some other way, like their office being in the hospital. I've been told that that is a joint and several liability thing but I don't know if that matters.

Default Re: The Statute of Limitations for Malpractice in Georgia

Generally speaking, two years. Late discovery may extend the limitations period by one year from the date of discovery, to a maximum of five years. As malpractice cases can be complex, particularly when late discovery is alleged, the determination of the applicable limitations period is best made by a lawyer practicing in your state.

1. Sponsored Links