Default Tape Recording a Minor's Conversations With the Other Parent

My nine year old son has informed me that his dad and step mom are taping recording are conversations and laughing about what they are going to do to me. My son is scared. I want to know is it legal for them to tape a conversation between my child and I without me nowing. I really don't care if they do I never say anything to get into trouble for. I think they are just out to hurt me but they are destroying my son.

Default Re: laws on taping a minor w/ parent

Quote Quoting clehrkamp
    View Post
    My nine year old son has informed me that his dad and step mom are taping recording are conversations and laughing about what they are going to do to me. My son is scared. I want to know is it legal for them to tape a conversation between my child and I without me nowing. I really don't care if they do I never say anything to get into trouble for. I think they are just out to hurt me but they are destroying my son.
    Recording laws change according to state. I believe they also vary depending on visitation rights (not entirely sure on this issue). You can google recording laws and find out what sort of laws apply to you. I'm in FL, and this is a 2 party state...both parties have to know recording is taking place for this to be a court issue. Not sure where you are, so I'm not much help in this area.
    I am a custodial SM to an 11yo. We told my Sd to write things down when Mom calls if they bother her...in her diary which we do not read unless invited. My Sd's mom hasn't been in contact for over 4.5 years...just started in spring of this year. so there's not a lot for her to say there.
    Personally, I think it's wrong of both of them to discuss this within earshot of your son. When I have negative things to sayabout my SD's mom, I do it when she is not around, so she never, ever hears any of it. My hubby's court order actually stipulates that no one is to speak badly of either parent within earshot of the child. Not good for the kiddos.
    I know this probably isn't much help, but I hate seeing posts with no replies at all. Someone with more knowledge will be along soon, I'm certain.

1. Sponsored Links