Default My Insurance Company's Duties After an Accident

Hello and thanks for listening: My 84 yr old dad and I were rear-ended in Alabama, on the way home to Fla. The other driver fell asleep at the wheel and hit us in the rear as he was going about 50 mi hr, and we were at a stop light. My car was totaled (2001 Toyota Rav4) and the other driver at fault. I have GEICO Ins. and have talked with both the "general" Ins adjuster and the collision adjuster (car reimbursement). The accident was Monday 10/22. I spoke with my insurance general adjuster tuesday, answered ques and DID give a recorded statement about the accident, mentioning we were hurting from possible "whiplash" injury and had gone to hospital for check up. Cause we wern't sure of any injuries.
    GEICO offered a pretty fair amt for totaling of car, around $12,500. with my deductable subtracted. I researched and it's not a bad figure, perhaps it could be afew hundred more in IMHO. Is the vehicle "settlement" a seperate deal from any medical or other compensation I or the other insured's Ins. co would pay? Would it be ok to settle on the vehicle amt and leave the medical as a seperate issue? I was wondering IF I should hold off on auto settlement until I see if my insurance co does right for me in subrogating all the expenses we incurred - rental, motel stay, further medical EXAMS . GEICO was a little vague about if they could get the money from the at fault driver that covered anything above what the Ins needs back. I do not believe we will need a lawyer, as our injuries at this point seem more soft tissue. I have an old,existing cervical injury, don't know if it could be problem later. Lastly, do you think the at fault drivers insurance co would include a "pain and suffering" without significant injuries? My dad was pretty upset, as was I, and driving is a bit fearfull for me, and some pain, etc. Not trying to be greedy, just don't want to be a "doormat" as I have in past and come out lacking. THANKS ahead of time, you'all are so helpfull.

Default Re: My ins. co's duties, etc. Ala. accident

Q: Would it be ok to settle on the vehicle amt and leave the medical as a seperate issue?

A: Yes.

All the other questions are ones that the insurance carrier should answer. Insist on answers in writing.

It does not sound (from your description) that you have any serious and permanent physical injuries (meaning, among other things, that you cannot sue for pain and suffering).

If you do settle, make sure you understand exactly what you are getting and what you are giving up.

The amount you list for that old a car seems very reasonable to me; but that is just my personal opinion.

Default Re: My Insurance Company's Duties After an Accident

Make sure that the medical bills are reimbursed in full. Unless you recently bought your policy in FL, your policy likely has PIP on it, which pays your medical bills, but, since the accident was in AL, ALs laws apply, and they don't have PIP (neither does FL, anymore).

Default Re: My Insurance Company's Duties After an Accident

Thanks for the info. I think the settlement for my car is ok, too. I have been checking with area pricing. My concerns were that my Ins co won't be much help with getting money back we incurred, like the motel we had to use that night, further (if any) exams we might need, and whether I settle medical without knowing what a few months might bring. We feel blessed to have walked away from this accident, but even though I was thorough in questioning my two agents, smaller concerns keep coming up. I will check back with them. THANK you so much.

1. Sponsored Links