Question Stolen Checks and Forgery

We had checks stolen from us and the person who stole them forged our signatures to cash them. Is this considered a felony and if so what could this person be facing in terms of charges/sentencing when we file a police report and press charges? This happened in Indiana.

Default Re: Stolen Checks & Forgery

Quote Quoting Been_Taken
    View Post
    We had checks stolen from us and the person who stole them forged our signatures to cash them. Is this considered a felony and if so what could this person be facing in terms of charges/sentencing when we file a police report and press charges? This happened in Indiana.
    We don't know what they're going to be charged with. Have you contacted the bank?

Default Re: Stolen Checks & Forgery

Generally speaking forging checks and passing forged checks will be charged as a felony. I haven't specifically looked up Indiana's statutes, nor do I know how the prosecutor will choose to charge the defendant in this case.

Default Re: Stolen Checks and Forgery

Yes, both banks in question have been notified of the theft. One has actually sent us an affidavit to have notarized which states the check numbers, amounts, dates, payee and the name that was signed. Unfortunately the other bank has not sent us anything like that but we spoke to them and they confirmed that it was the person in question.

We just filed the report today so no information on what the charges will be. It all has to be typed up and investigated yet.

1. Sponsored Links