Question Witholding a Diploma

Can a school legally withhold your diploma if you have completed all necessary courses and have all credits needed to graduate, passed all the exit level tests but lost credit in one class, that was not needed to graduate, due to absences?

The class I lost credit in was French 3 the last semester. For graduation you are required to take 2 foreign languages so this class was not mandatory for me to graduate.

In order to get credit back you have to pay the school $50 and then spend 4 hours on a Saturday in basically detention. Is it necessary that I do this or do they have to give me diploma even if there is a missed credit?

Sorry I'm from Texas

Default Re: Witholding a Diploma

It sounds like the problem is not the number of credits you have, but the fact that you violated your school's attendance and disciplinary policies. That is, you aren't indicating that you are being denied a diploma because you failed a class. You seem to be indicating that you are being denied a diploma because you repeatedly skipped class and won't do your detention.

You seem to be indicating that you are being denied a diploma because you repeatedly skipped class and won't do your detention.
    Right. Can a school legally do that? I'm just breaking the School's laws and are the school's laws higher than the states? Does the state say that they can keep my diploma from me just for not doing detention and paying $50?

Default Re: Withholding a Diploma

Quote Quoting Jessexica2285
    View Post
    Right. Can a school legally do that? I'm just breaking the School's laws and are the school's laws higher than the states? Does the state say that they can keep my diploma from me just for not doing detention and paying $50?

Why, yes, they certainly can! You did not fulfill the requirements for graduation.

Default Re: Withholding a Diploma

You did not fulfill the requirements for graduation.
    Yes I did. I earned all necessary credits to graduate, if not more.

panther10758 Guest

Passing grades are not only requirment. Just the main one.

No but I mean I have more than 26 credits and that's how many credits you need to graduate. If the class I lost credit in was an elective, or an extra credit that doesn't count against my graduation why would they be able to legally withhold my diploma?
    I mean I can understand if it were like a core class but it was not.

panther10758 Guest

Your Diploma can be held for many reasons as you have been told. Your credit count isnt a factor here.

Quote Quoting Jessexica2285
    View Post
    No but I mean I have more than 26 credits and that's how many credits you need to graduate. If the class I lost credit in was an elective, or an extra credit that doesn't count against my graduation why would they be able to legally withhold my diploma?
    I mean I can understand if it were like a core class but it was not.
    You cut class, hence loosing time from MANDATORY school attendance. Make up the time and you get your diploma...Or don't and...don't.

1. Sponsored Links