Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Citation on Speeding Ticket Does Not Match Fine, in Georgia

I was cited for 61 in a 35 while riding my motorcycle. The officer cited me for 40-6-180 which in GA is a 'too fast for conditions' violation. I called to get the fine amount and the automated system indicated that I owed $56.00. I also learned through some research that this citation does not carry points. Imagine my relief and luck.

However, when I went to the court to pay the fine I was told the fine was $165.00 and the citation was for speeding 40-6-181.

You can see my issue and I can guess that you can understand my level of anger.

Is there any grounds to take this to court and get them to honor the original citation? Or in GA is there a possibility to take defensive driving to either reduce or eliminate this from my driving record.

Thanks....

Default Re: Citation on Speeding Ticket Does Not Match Fine, in Georgia

Was an amended citation issued, or is this a clerical error in entering the ticket into the court's system? I would check the court file to find out, as if it is simply a clerical error the clerk of the court should correct it.

no ammended citation was issued.

The woman at the counter said that despite what the citation code read on the ticket the fact that the officer wrote speeding was what they went by.

I call bull on that and that the citation number should be indicative of the actual fine as the officer and I had a detailed discussion of why he was using that particular citation code.

So you think I can call the court clerk to get this possibly straightened out?

If that's what the clerk's are instructed to do, you may keep running into a brick wall. You could try taking the ticket to hearing and trying to plead guilty to the actual citation charged. You may wish to call a local lawyer to find out more about how your local court handles traffic tickets, as they seem to have their own, private set of rules.

Appreciate the guidance Aaron.

Normally the citation on the ticket governs. I would show up on my court date and plead guilty to the "too fast for conditions." Just be sure to confirm that with the prosecutor and it is on your receipt. The clerks in most states are efficient and will help you. GA seems to be the exception.

Quote Quoting lwpat
    View Post
    Normally the citation on the ticket governs. I would show up on my court date and plead guilty to the "too fast for conditions." Just be sure to confirm that with the prosecutor and it is on your receipt. The clerks in most states are efficient and will help you. GA seems to be the exception.
    reading that pleases me. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Can you explain the court process to me in better detail? I have never bothered to fight a ticket before and would like some knowledge of the task at hand before I just show up.

The best thing to do is go down to the courthouse on a day when they are hearing traffic cases (call the clerk and ask) and sit there and watch. Every court is different (even within the same county), so there's no way we can tell you what to expect.

Get there early and try to listen in on negotiations, as well.

Good luck,
    Barry

You will show up as scheduled and sign in with the clerk. Be sure to take your copy of the ticket. Normally the prosecutor will call you up either by officer or in the order you signed in. He will talk to you about what you want to do. then they will take a bunch back to the judge to sign off on or you may go in front of the judge. Just be sure to plead guilty to the "too fast for conditions, less that 10mph" I believe is how it is listed. Do not fall for using your NOLO plea. Confirm the statute number and you should be good. It is pretty much an assembly line.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast