Default Sued Over Uncompleted Home Repair, Only Paid in Part

I'm a contractor who is being sued for $1,100 in small claims. I agreed to Vinyl Side a house and Garage for $2,500 material and Labor combined. I received $1,700 down to furnish materials. We completed the house and half the garage but run out of money to finish. We never received any money for any labor performed. I did not have the money to finish the project out of my own pocket and felt bad It was taking so long. I agreed to finish the job out of my own pocket at my own expense to keep the peace. Apparently I was taking to long to come up with the other materials and he threatened to sue me. I told him fine , and told him I had done enough and wasn't doing anymore and to do what he had to. He is suing me for $1,080 for material

Default Re: Contractor Sued in Small Claims Court

That's what somebody else will charge him to complete the job? If so, it's a reasonable means of calculating damages.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    That's what somebody else will charge him to complete the job? If so, it's a reasonable means of calculating damages.
    But the garage is nearly complete and our labor doesn't account for nothing? The guy also had us install 25 sheets of OSB that wasn't in the contract. He didn't want to pay for the labor so he agreed that he would do it the following day. The next day he tells me I'm installing it because it's my job. Now if I don't, I'm out all the labor we had in Siding the house, because he wont pay, so we just tried to keep the peace and moved on.

I do a lot of work for people he goes to church with . It's not that I care so much about losing, but it's when he lies and just seems so shifty acting.

Is his claim the amount somebody else would charge to complete the job?

Quote Quoting aaron
    View Post
    Is his claim the amount somebody else would charge to complete the job?
    It says for material and labor to finish the job. I don't know if the estimate he has, if any is even from a legitimate contractor. Anyone can make up an estimate. His calculations are close on material, it's about $400 in material's.

I don't know what you're complaining about if his estimates are reasonable. You brought this on yourself.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    I don't know what you're complaining about if his estimates are reasonable. You brought this on yourself.
    No I did not bring this on myself, this guy was shifty from day one. He lied to my face then swore to it. Nobody should have to do FREE work like sheeting his garage. This guy has been around the block and knows how to manipulate people to get what he wants. I have done this work for 18 years and NEVER been sued. He has been voice recording every conversation without my knowledge , so he thinks. Let me tell you that there are just as many crooked homeowners out there as there are contractors. Always someone trying to get something for nothing and it sure wasn't me.

1. Sponsored Links