Default Assault from '89 and Tresspassing in '97

Hi there....my husband has his INS meeting next Tuesday, and they have requested we bring dispositions of arrest. He has an arrest from 1989 for an assault in which no time was served, and then a tresspassing from 1997in which time was served. He also as an offense as a juvenile. He is 36 years old and has been a permanent resident since 1982, and a resident since he was about 3 years old. his mom is a naturalized citizen (from Canada) and is her only child. We have been married for 4 years now....he is just going in for a renewal for a lost card. We don't have ANY money to hire a lawyer. Do you know how these are going to affect his hearing? Also, do juvenile records have to be provided as well?

Also...he has a Social Security card w/no restrictions. Is this going to help him out in the process?

Thanks!!!!

Default Re: Assault from '89 and Tresspassing in '97

Is the USCIS aware of this criminal history from applications or proceedings occurring subsequent to 1982?

No they do not know of his previous convictions I don't think. His status was changed to permanent was he was 12 in Sept or Oct. of 1982, so he wouldn't have had any crimes at that time. He doesn't think that his mom ever renewed his card after his 14th birthday, but there is no expiration date for his residency.

He should answer all questions fully and truthfully, as getting caught in a lie or omission can be much more serious than the truth. I don't know anything about the juvenile offense, but I expect that the adult offenses would trigger a slightly deeper investigation and possible delay in reissuance, but I doubt that those incidents will prevent the renewal of the Green Card.

Thank you so much!!! You have been a great help. He has not been in any trouble since 1997 and since moving to Minnesota and getting married hasn't even had a traffic incident. His mother is picking up the certified records from Colorado to bring with us, those will help him to show that he is willing to provide whatever info is necessary. We just didn't have much time to prepare for the biometrics appointment. We submitted his paperwork and then the appointment was scheduled for only three weeks earlier. Does being a citizen of Canada and his mother's only child help him out at all?

Thanks again!!!

Quote Quoting worriedwife18
    View Post
    Does being a citizen of Canada and his mother's only child help him out at all?
    Not in any obvious way.

I just found out that he has a guilty plea for a cannabis possession from 2001 that was closed upon completion of $150 dollar fine, 24hrs. community service, and a substance abuse class in March of 2002....is that going to make a difference?

The more crimes he has committed, the greater the potential that it will affect his immigration status.

Okay thanks.

1. Sponsored Links