Unhappy Lawyer Doesn't Respond To Inquiries

My ex wife made false aligatons against me in 2001. i was arrested and spent months fighting the charges. two weeks after i was arrested my ex wife's mother took my daughter and flew to puerto rico. during the same time my ex wife took off with the man who she was cheating on me with. i ended up with three year probation. i got a divorce in sept 07. the judge here in fl ststed that he had no jusridiction over the child. my daughter is concidered a "resident" of PR so i had to file a custody case there. my ex lives in New jersy and never sees my daughter. i have been twice this year to see my daughter. i talk to her almost every day over the phone. I hired a lawyer in Puerto Rico and she filed the case. The lawyer stated that she also gave the "delivery person" the summons on 9-17-07. i can not reach the lawyer in over three weeks now and the summons still has not been delivered. the court is waiting for the summons to be delivered for the case to proceed. I dont know what else to do to contact her. Ive tryed e mails, phone calls, letters to the lawyer all with no reply. What do i do now???

Default Re: bad lawyer?

Try communicating to your lawyer that you need to be updated on the status of the case, and that three weeks with no response is too long. Ask for a response within a reasonable time frame and, if no response is received, consider switching law firms.

Note that if you are contacting your lawyer on an excessive basis, you may be the author of your own misery. Contact every two or three days, to follow up on a non-response, is not unreasonable. Contact every few hours by phone, fax, email, letter, etc., could cause a lawyer to consider withdrawing from a case.

Question Re: Lawyer Doesn't Respond To Inquiries

Thank you, Over the past 3 1/2 weeks i have sent only four e-mails, and left two phone messages and one letter asking for response on her behalf. The last one that i sent was asking her to plese reply in a timely manor. Ive tryed to contact other firms in Puerto Rico but they will not talk to me because i already have "counsel". How do i fire her if i can not reach her? She has all of my documents. i.e. my daughters original birth certificate, divorce sentance ect. How to do i go about getting those items to return to me if i do fire her?

Default Re: Lawyer Doesn't Respond To Inquiries

Discuss the transfer of files with your new lawyer.

1. Sponsored Links