Unhappy Two Party Car Title With Ex-Girlfriend in Alabama

I mistakenly helped my, at the time, girlfriend buy a used car, in December of 2004. Additionally my insurance company had better rates than she could find, so we insured the car under my plan. We lived together at the time and subsequently broke up in March of the following year.

We continued to live together through the end of our lease (Nov 2005)and she made regular car payments. However, she fell behind on rent and utilities, and by midsummer was contributing nothing. All the while I was paying for all the car insurance, my portion of the rent/utilities, and any portion she did not pay.

In December we both moved out(to different places) and I continued to make insurance payments. I'm under the impression that I could be held liable if she gets in a wreck.

Starting by about February 06' she started falling behind on car payments. She has to this date made most of the payments, but I cannot allow this to continue anymore. I have always jumped in before the payment would be late enough to mark my credit, and I've made about five or six payments to date.

I am now out over $7000 and she no longer accepts calls from me. The payoff on the car is about $10000 and the loan does not mature for more than 3 years. Alabama does not issue a title until the loan is paid in full, but our names on the registration read "Jane Doe" OR "John Doe".

I'm still in contact with her mother and I know where she(my ex) works and lives.

Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. My primary goal is to get out from under the loan, by any means.

Default Re: Two Party Car Title With Ex-Girlfriend in Alabama

If she won't cooperate, you'll have to take her to court. That is unlikely to be fast and could involve a considerable expense.

Exclamation Re: Two Party Car Title With Ex-Girlfriend in Alabama

Thanks for the reply. Lets say I go to court and get a cash judgment, can I then use that to force her to sign the car to me? Or is that something that would have to come from the court?

Default Re: Two Party Car Title With Ex-Girlfriend in Alabama

By being on the title, you CAN be sued in case of an accident. If she is still on your insurance policy, but doesn't live in your household, you may want to notify your insurance company. You don't want to be surprised in the event of a claim.

1. Sponsored Links